Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problems loading OS 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

jbibler

MIS
Apr 10, 2001
US
I just purchased a new system, I have a P3 933 MHZ with 256 PC133 RAM, and an ASUS CUV4X-E Motherboard. I have tried everything I can think of, and I cannot get any operating system to load. I want to install Windows 2000 Pro, when i load it up it gives me the error " ntkrnlmp.exe could not be loaded. The error code is 4. " It does the same thing on Windows 2000 Server. I tried Windows 98 SE and it installs everything fine until the end, then it gives me configuration errors. I have tried a couple different versions of each OS, and I get all the same errors. Soo.... one would think that it is a hardware problem. But thats the error it gives, its an error dealing with the OS kernel. So some how there is a problem copying the shell from the CD to the Hard drive. I have checked everything in the CMOS, and BIOS, and I cant find anything that seems to be incorrect. IF anyone has any ideas, I would appreciate it. Thanks ~ Josh

I agree about checking the memory. Most errors seem to spring from the lack of serial presence detection or running suspect PC133 at 133mhz when it should be slowed to PC100 specs. Memory has been the root of my of our installation problems. If there is two or more pieces make sure they are matched. W2K (all editions) will weed out poorly made memory.

I've been having the same problem with an Athlon 750mhz system. Thanks for the replies, I'm trying removing memory now(had 2-256m & 1-128m, all PNY.) Will remove the 2 256m chips and start over.

Thank again, I'll let ya know soon,
John

I spent two days trying to track down some type of extremely complicated problem, silly me. Thanks for getting me back to the basics, my problem was the missmatched memory in my system (or maybe one is bad.) W2k is loading just fine as we speak. Y'all r the greatest!!!!

Thanks,
John

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back