Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problems Loading Nortel Contivity V4.65 Running XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

SamMoore

IS-IT--Management
Jun 17, 2003
US
I'm having all kinds of problems loading Nortel Contivity VPN on my PC at home, which is running XP Prof. I'm getting registry key value failure and VPN Client IPSEC adapter failure due to registry.

Sam,

I am also experiencing this issue - trying to research it led me to this site. I have spoken to the network folks at my work and the VPN admin says he has only heard of one other instance of this in the 400 users that have remote accounts. I can't find anything in the 'Services' to turn off. If I find out more I will post and email you.

Labrax

Latest version Contivity VPN client 4.65, if you have any problem with him, open Support case with NN customer support. In my installation VPN works fine.

I'm having a similar problem to SamMoore. I'm installing a corporate pre-compiled version V04_60.51. I'm running it on Windows 2000 and XP. I've been trying to get it working again for the past year.

The problem I'm having is I get the message "Waiting for Banner Message Text" then it times out and disconnects.

My LAN people say my ISP is blocking the port or I have a popup blocker that is blocking the message.

My ISP says it's my LAN firewall or the PC.

Well... I uninstalled the popup blocker, bypassed the firewall and connected straight to the broadband modem. My VPN connection on the XP machine works elsewhere (laptop). I've replaced the modem, and no joy with anything.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I'm at my wits end, and I've been working on this for a year now...

Help!

tbear,

Have you tried updating the firmware of the router that you have. I talked to my network people about this and they asked if I had a netgear router - which I do. I upgraded the firmware on the router and the version of Nortel and now I do not have the issue. Might be worth a check to see if they have any firmware updates. Typically that message is a problem on your end with the Nortel software unable to get through. Good luck.

Pete

I had simular problems,

tried to toggle the keepalive in the contivity client.
That worked for me with an old contivity client version.

And the problems with my adsl connection was due to nat traversel. Ask the folks who manage the contivity, to do a test with that feature

A

Found the problem - good old google! The problem was Norton Anti-virus 2005. It thought the VPN client was a worm because it uses the same port as many of the email worms. So I went into Norton and turned off the worm protection (temporarily - until I reboot) and told norton to specifically allow the VPN client unrestricted access to the internet.

Now, I don't know which one fixed it, but it finally works now. Thanks for your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back