Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problems installing Windows 2000 on RAID 5 array

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marcus2V

MIS
Apr 22, 2001
GB
Please help! I have set up a hardware RAID5 array using a Promise SuperTrak SX6000. 3 disks each 15GB. If I try to install Win2k server on to the array (i.e. one partition of 30GB) then either the format part of the setup fails saying the disk is corrupt or having problems, or sometimes it gets further but on rechecking the disk it says it is corrupt or having problems. I did also try creating a 4GB and 8GB initial partitions to install the system to but still no joy! :(

I have successfully installed winXP pro as a test on the raid5 array without any problems.

Please can someone help ... why cant I install win2k server directly to the RAID5 array??

Thanks,
Mark

Do you press F6 and use RAID controller drivers at 1st phase of installation?

Yes, and using latest sx6000 drivers aswell

Mark

When EXACTLY did you press F6? You need to do it immediately rather than waiting until SCSI devices are requested.

I push F6 as soon as the option is shown. This then continues to load a couple of devices then gives the option to press 's' for a RAID/SCSI device, prompts for the disk, I pick the Promise card from the disk and then continue with setup. The drive does appear ok and it then fails just after formatting the disk (usually reaches 100% and then says the disk is corrupted - I have already replaced all 3 disks with spares to test this!) ... I can load Windows XP on ok but no flavors of win2k want to work.

Take this with a grain of salt as I have just started a class in Windown 2000 Server, but my search of the HCL list on microsoft.com only came back with the following controllers which does not include the Supertrak:

Promise
Controller cards
FloppyMAX

Promise Technology
Controller cards
FastTrak100 ATA RAID Controller
FloppyMAX
Promise Technology, Inc FastTrak100 ATA RAID Controller
Promise Technology, Inc Ultra 100 IDE Controller
Promise Technology, Inc. FastTrak TX2000 Lite ATA RAID Controller
Promise Technology, Inc. FastTrak100 ATA RAID Controller
Promise Technology, Inc. FastTrak100TX2 ATA RAID Controller
Promise Technology, Inc. Ultra100TX2 IDE Controller
Promise Technology, Inc. Ultra133TX2 IDE Controller
Promise Technology,Inc FastTrak100 ATA RAID Controller

Promise Technology Inc.
Controller cards
Promise Technology, Inc. Fast Trak100
Promise Technology, Inc. FastTrak 100 TX2 IDE RAID Controller
Promise Technology, Inc. FastTrak100
Promise Technology, Inc. Ultra100 IDE Controller
Promise Technology, Inc. Ultra100 IDE Controller (Ultra100)

P.S. Someone let me know if I even came close to a tip on this. thx

slvrknight,

Close-ish! .... although not on the HCL the SX6000 does have a win2k driver provided by Promise. Turns out to be a restriction on Win2k - the boot and system partition cannot both be on a RAID5 array. This seems to have been resolved in winxp and .net server (beta&RC1).

Mark

This restriction for SOFT RAID only, not for Hardware RAID

I didn't know you could software raid 5?! Please correct me if I'm wrong.

I have, however, specifically read that win2k does NOT support Raid 5.

hmmm.... didnt know that Odissey - thanks....

Ezdine, as far as i am aware win2k server does do software raid 5 and does support it ...

Can anyone comment on how they 'prepare' their disks/raid before installing Windows 2000 server, and with what .... this could help with the original poster's problem .... normally I use Compaq software so not much help .. anyone else?

Mark

Ok bit of a follow-up on this one....

So far tested with 2 Maxtor drives (identical 15gb each) in RAID0 and then RAID1 set up. Windows 2000 would not install - either the text part of setup reckons the disks are corrupted, or just after the splash screen (going into GUI setup) it blue screens saying that device driver is corrupted.

Then test with 2 Western Digital drives (identical both 80gb) in same setup as above, with the same result.

Setting up 3 western digital drives (identical all 3 80gb) in RAID5, also gives same results as above.

Testing all 3 above set ups installing on Windows NT 4.0 Server (same result as above - or else text setup hangs loading in drivers) ....

Testing all 3 above set ups installing on Windows XP Pro or .NET Server Enterprise, works perfectly installs no problems shows up fine in Windows.

Does anybody have any ideas on this? It would seem to point to a Windows NT/2000 driver issue???

Thanks
:-/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back