Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problems installing application, during setup it asks to restart the p

Status
Not open for further replies.

dstepans

Programmer
Jun 3, 2003
US
Please help!

I created an install package. But during installation it says that some files have to be updated and the computer must be restarted in order to continue the setup, without it it will not continue.
If I click on OK, the computer gets restarted, then when I try to install the project again same thing happens, it says it has to update the files and resart the computer.

I am going nutz! Please help.

Denis

I had this problem once and it was hell, ended up being bad memory. I don't know if this is your problem but you can try removing one of the memory sticks and try again.

Denis

You are using Windows2000 or up, right?
You are using the Package and Deployment wizard, right?

Not a good match.

The P&D Wizard is a bit stoopid when getting to replacing windows2000 files. Because Windows2000 has go a lot of neet system integrity functions, it replaces system files that have been changed or updated to the original file, i.e if you delete a system file, it just copies it back :)

Thats why the P&D keeps updating them and restarting and then does it again, cause the files never get updated.

Get on the web and get "Visual Studio Installer", it's free from microsoft and works like a bomb.

May the Code Be With You...
----------
x50-8 (X Fifty Eigt)

Thanks.
I am using win 2000 server as the development pc where I also pack the files using PDW wizard.

The error happens when I install the package on some XP and Win 2000 computers.

Will packages created with Visual Studio Installer work on Win XP as well? What about Win 2003?

Denis

It should work on all, it's basically just a really intelligent(and new) Pack & Depl Wizard, for all your visual studio projects, I have never had any problem with it

----------
x50-8 (X Fifty Eigt)

Thanks guys.

I'll be taking a look at both Visual Studio Installer & Installshield.

Denis

Installshield is prerry nice, but also very advanced, It can take as much as 30m to create a setup and installshield id also very expensive.

I got the trail, tried it, it was nice, but VS Installer suits me much better

----------
x50-8 (X Fifty Eigt)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back