Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problems installing 56k modem on win 98

Status
Not open for further replies.

fbiwicked

Technical User
Jun 16, 2003
US
hi
i have an E Machine computer with a 500mhz celeron in it
its about 3-4 years old and came with windows 98

i reformatted the harddrive and reloaded windows 98 on it

i signed up for a dial-up connection and want to get it online, but for some reason i cannot get my modem to work
(it didnt work before i remformatted)

its a Gateway 2000 Telepath for Windows with x2 technology (manufactured by U.S. Robotics
the modem was made in 1997 and says SPORTSTER Model 0487 on the back

i have the windows 95, 98, and ME cds i have the system cd that came with the computer and i have a floppy disk that has the Telepath with x2 for Windows drivers on it

one of those 4 things should have the right drivers right?
well i thought so, but it seems like the computer cant figure out what kind of modem it is
sometimes it will recognize it as a 3com modem, sometimes a Winmodem and sometimes a telepath modem

so i went on the internet (different computer) and found drivers that were for that exact modem, for the sportster 0478 model as well

anyway, when the modem is installed and i try to dial my isp, it either says there is no dial tone or that the modem is not responding

im lost, ive been working on this thing for about 5 hours and cant get it to work...help please!

Firstly, does the telephone line work if you plug a handset in there, do you get a dialling tone? If you do, that eliminates the line.
Secondly, in the modem properties in control panel, is it configured correctly for your location (so it uses the correct tones for dialling)?
Thirdly, can you try swapping the cable between the modem and telephone line to ensure that it is good (perhaps swap with another PC)?

John

If you can't get drivers from the E-machine or US Robotics site. get another modem with drivers and install that.

jrbarnett,
yes the phone line is good
and the location is correct
and thirdly, are you asking me to find out if the modem is good?

the modem is good

and franklin...i have the drivers for the modem and i found some on the internet as well to make sure i had the right ones
if all of this fails i am going to buy a new one

The swapping of a cable will check if the modem is good. I would also check modem diagnostics in control panel as well, which would confirm if the modem is good.

As modems are cheap, don't waste too much time on it though, Franklin's suggestion is quite valid. Just remember to check the minimum requirements now, because most internal modems are software driven, and a 4 year old PC may not make the minimum spec on some of the latest models.

John

i am going to check to see if the modem is good
if it is good, what to u recommend

one more thing u might want to know, the modem i am trying is out of a gateway2000 that is 5-6 years old

1. X2 is outdated - you would only get 28 - 33k even if it worked.
2. E-Machines has a habit of reserving com 2 for the modem. Com 1 is used for the mouse.
3. Disable com 2, and put in a new modem - it will probably choose com 4 on up.

You should be able to get an x2 to V90 flash upgrade, I did for a modem years ago from the US Robotics website (the company is now owned by 3Com).

John

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back