Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problems installing 36 GB SCSI HotSwap disks in F50

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaki

MIS
Feb 21, 2002
US
Hi all,

we have one F50 with 2 sixpacks of hotswap disks, at the moment the first sixpack is filled with 6 x 9GB disks , and the second is filled with some 9 and 18 GB disks, 1 slot is free and i tried to install a 36 GB disk there.

The HW installation of the was easy: just plugged in, and after a short while the green LED went on.

The Problem:
When using cfgmgr on the installed AIX 4.3.3 it comes back without any Error, but the disk was not found: i cant see it with "lspv" neither with "lsdev -Cc disk"
Is it possible that it is necessary to install additional disk driver to get access to 36 GB disks?

Is anyone using 36GB disks in F50 with AIX 4.3.3 ? or are any Problems known?

thanks for comments ...

Mark

I don't know if it is still the case but in the "old days" a 36GB disk needed two slots for air flow reasons.

This is not at all related to your problem, just thought I'd mention it in case you got in trouble :)

Can diag see it??

Cheers Henrik Morsing
Certified AIX 4.3 Systems Administration
& p690 Technical Support

ID conflict??

Cheers Henrik Morsing
& p690 Technical Support

nope ! SCSI ID 13 which is used by this slot is unused on this SCSI Adapter ...

Mark

36GB disk is not supported in an F50

I think you'll find the scsi bus is not wide enough to support them.

there were jumpers for the SCSI ID on the disk drive, so it did not use the SCSI ID assigned to the Hotswap Slot where it were located ... after removing the jumpers cfgmgr found the disk ...

stubbint: youre wrong ... I'm using 36 GB disk in an F50.

Mark

No, Trevor is partly wrong!! I actually don't believe that IBM is supporting a 36GB in a F50 but it's not because of the bus but heat and lack of testing because the F50 is too old. The bus in an F50 is a 68pins UW which 36GB disk supports.

Cheers Henrik Morsing
& p690 Technical Support

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back