Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problems inheriting permissions in Win2k Domain

Status
Not open for further replies.

farklem

Technical User
Feb 5, 2003
US
Ok I have a shared folder named "Shared" Within that folder I have 5 Hard Drives mounted as paths. I gave user "Test" full access for the share and the NTFS permisions on "Shared." All of the objects within "Shared" are set to inherit permissions. They don't enherit the proper permissions though. Some only allow Administrator and some allow Everyone. I have tried resetting the permissions on all subcontainers but it doesn't change them.

Any help would be appreciated.

Are their permissions set for the Hard drives themselves somewhere else?

No, unless there is another place to set HD permissions. They are only mounted as a path. I removed the letter names of the drives.

Is each path a folder? The permissions are inherited but did you share each path?

I suppose if you create mounted paths to drives, from parent folder inherited are only permissions to mount points themselves, not to mounted drives. You should apply permissions directly to drives.

===
Karlis
ECDL; MCP

You may have to right click on each volume and select properties to check each one's permissions ...

I forgot to say go to My computer first on the computer with the hard drives ....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back