Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problems dual booting Win98se and Win2K Pro

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hornza

Technical User
May 15, 2001
GB
I'm currently trying to install windows 2000 pro and windows 98se but am having problems getting the windows 2000 to install.
What keeps on happening is that just after windows 2000 has done the initial drivers installation the pc just keeps reseting.
I've checked my hardware and all seems to be compatible so i'm not sure what the problem can be!

If anyone can help me on this matter it'd be much appreciated.

Thanks

Dale

can you list what kind of computer you have? Ex: Dell Dimensions xxx, white box, home built and the components used including scsi, ata card, etc. Also can you list how you installed? Ex: One partition fat 16 upgraded w95 to w98, One partition fat 32 clean install w98, multi partition fat 32 & ntfs, etc.

Thanks

TO be successful at dual booting W98 and W2k, I have always heard that you need to install W98 first!

My System is a P3 700,384mb Ram, Creative SB128,
Creative dvd-rom, Nvidia geforce2 mx-400, 3com network adapter, Adaptec SCSI controller 2920/40, Abit BH6 Motherboard, Yamaha SCSI CD writer, 1 x 60 GIG hardrive split into four Partitions all FAT32 and 1 x 20GIG hardrive also FAT32,

I Think that's everything.Hope this helps you help me!

Thanx

Hey Hornza,

Ok If I hear you right you have 4 partitions, also SCSI cd, is hard drive SCSI as well?

In any case a quickie, install win98 on partition one, install win2000 on partition 2, install programs on partition 3, theres reasons for setup this way, you can do others, but according to mskb this is the best way, and in my experience it is, you will have to install programs twice, once under win98, once under win2000. If your installing win98 & win2000 in the 1st partition together you most likely will encounter problems if not now then in the future.

Ok, now the reason why you can't get it to setup is that you have SCSI, you need to hit F6 (I think) when you start setup, look for it, its only on for about 2 seconds and advises you with text at the bottom of the screen, at this point it will run and ask you for the SCSI drivers, put it in, once it takes it will continue with the install and you should be good to go.

If this is something you already have been doing then the only other thing I can think of is some kind of hardware incompatibilty even if its on the approved lists.

Good Luck!!

Hey Hornza,

I re-read and realized you had 2 hd, installation should be oldest os on primary partition, next oldest on any partiton after primary, next oldest on any partition after the previous, so you can install win2k on the 2nd hard drive if you want.

Can a Motherboard stop Win2k from Installing?

Just that over the weekend i took out all my ISA/PCI hardware and ending with just one harddrive with 2 partitions and a cdrom.
So my system was My Motherboard,CPU,Memory,Harddisk,Graphics card and a cdrom and still had the problem of my Pc reseting upon trying to install. I even swapped graphics cards,cdrom etc...
i can install/copy the system files over no problem using winnt.exe /t:D (where D was the drive i'm installing to)
that Copied the files over no problem.
Restarted my pc and got prompted windows98 or windows 2000 setup
Selected Win2k setup waited a few seconds then the drivers started to load.
Waited a few more seconds then the PC just reset!
And it does this process over and over again.

Everything seems to be pointing to my motherboard.

have you checked in the bios and made sure virus protection is disabled?
dannyd

That is one solution that clicked with me when i was typing the above reply!
Not had chance to check the bios yet but it'd be a good start!
I'm sure i enable the bios warning when it's being written to. Maybe that is the problem! Hmmmm...

Will keep you posted!

I've checked the bios and virus protection is disabled!
Whatever the problem is it's causing windows XP to do exactly the same thing!
So i know it's not a software problem and i've even took all un-necessary hardware out of my PC! ie.soundcard,scsi adapter etc...
I've even copied all the files to my PC and removed all cdroms etc and installed that way but it's still the same problem! reseting constantly!
I give up! Maybe look at a new motherboard first and see what happens from there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back