Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problems delivering Mail with X400 Connectors

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hellooooooooo

Technical User
Oct 21, 2005
GB
Hello Everyone.

I have a little problem that is causing me a nightmare. If I Can't fix it this week, I'm not allowed on me holiday next week!!!

I have an Exchange 5.5 on a 2k server. Domain is run on NT4 -Still!

I have two X400 mail connectors to a company that provide us with Email connectivity. I also have Internet mail connector.

Mail is stacking up on the two X400 P1 connectors. The message will sit there for hours and then start to filter through. The same problem at the other side of the connectors where we have loads of mail waiting to be delivered to our exchange.

Email between users at our site have no problems. I have anothe site on a separate IP range that use our exchange. they too can email our local users no problems, but any thing that goes off via the X400 connectors sits for hours.

The Internet Mail COnnector is working fine, about 1 minute to get a message I send into my mailbox from my hotmail.

I recon that our server is fine and everything is OK, we just have a problem with the X400 connectors. Ive broken them 2day, and waited about 2 hours before rebuilding them.

The company that support our X400 connectors, recon that it's the Exchange server and it needs a rebuild! I dont realy fancy doing this.

I'm getting the following error in the Application event log: Error code 1456-

Association Recovery Failed - Original RTSE Control Block 2002 in wrong state 25. [PLATFORM RTSE 31 156] (14)

Can anyone offer an alternitive other then rebuilding the exchange.

Cheers Everyone

Marty
I realy realy want to go on my holiday.

You don't say what SP and patch level you're running, which is significant.

Are you running Exchange SP4? What about the Nov 2004 post SP4 rollup update? It's the closest thing to SP5 for Exchange 5.5. If not, install it (KB841765).

Not included in that were some post-SP4 MTA hotfixes, if installing the update rollup doesn't fix your problem (I don't think it will), it can't hurt to install this as well (KB283238).

If that doesn't fix your problem (it might), then it's almost certainly going to need KB904712 to fix it. If so, we need to talk further.

Hello Zbnet.

I should have put in that info. Its got SP4 plus the following patches:

810579enui386.exe
Exchange5.5-KB818709-v2-x86-enu.EXE
Exchange5.5-KB828489-v2a-x86-enu.EXE
Exchange5.5-KB828489-v2b-x86-intl.EXE
Exchange5.5-KB829418-x86-enu.EXE
Exchange5.5-KB833035-x86-enu.EXE
Exchange5.5-KB891796-x86-enu.EXE
Q283238engi386.EXE
Q289606engi386.EXE
Q304062engi386.EXE
Q312273engi386.EXE
Q329415enui386.exe

were looking at relocating the exchange just now

Cheers

Marty

Relocating? You mean on another server?

KB904712 might well fix your problem.

Hello.

Were using the same server. Currently the server passes through 3 switch's before is gets to teh SDP. Ive found a spare fibre that will cut 2 of the switch's out, so Im planning on using this to provide network connecivity.

I did just sign up with EventID.net as they have information there, but it wont let me get access to the information yet.

Cheers

Marty

Hello everyone.

Just thouhgt I would put a quick post up about the problems that we were having delivering emails.

After much work, and lots of head banging with our network providers we have solved the problems.

We have switches all making up the LAN with our servers attached here there and everywhere all working at 100 Full Duplex. However we still had a Lanplex working at 10 1/2 connecting us to BT. this was bypassed and all of ours messages started moving and everything waiting to come to our server was delivered stright away.

Points learnt. Follow the error codes and dont be affraid to have a good tinker with the LAN connectivity, even if your told its Perfect.

Thanks Zbnet for your comments.
Time to sort out the backups now.

Marty.

Hi Marty,

Is Lanplex your router/modem to BT ( aka ISP )? So, is it more of the equipement issue rather than the configuration issue?

Cheers,

Eric

Hello Ericwi,

We have a BT SDP running at 2mb. This is a BT owned and managed Cisco router. it feeds out as UTP, is then converted to fibre, and then joins my network equipment. I removed the Lanplex from the link and everything works fine. I've had the Lanplex looked at and no one can say what is wrong with it. As everything on the network is now working again and I'm not having exchange problems, the Lanplex can now become a door stop. I did read about memory modules becoming corupt in the Lanplex's causing data coruption. Not sure about that.

The main problem we had, is BT said it was not there problem, all their kit was fine. Our network infrastructure support company said everything was fine nothing more they could offer to help us. I had the error messages from the exchange server and that related to network connectivity issues. Just took a lot of head banging to sort it out.

Long ad short of it: Read you event logs and act on what the systems are telling you.

Laters

Marty

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back