Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problems defragementing and scan disking windows 98 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

sbnak1

Technical User
Jan 24, 2002
US
To whom can HELP!!

I have tried numerous times to defragement my hard drive (Windows 98 OS) and I have repeatedly received the message stating that I have "errors that need to be fixed on hard drive" before Win 98 can complete a defrag. of the system.

It then prompts me to run a scan disk and when i start to run a scan disk it ties to run it ten times and then it stops.

What can I do to solve these problems?

Thank you in advance
Sbnak1

Its a background process accessing the hard drive. I've found the easiest way to do it, is to boot to safe mode, and run scandisk there. Please bear in mind that you should really only do this but maybe once a year. Scandisk/defrag are just quicker ways to kill your drive.

Matt

Some other app that is running causes this problem with scandisk (Norton anti-virus, among others). Either disable apps till you find the one causing the problem, or the simplest thing is to just boot into SafeMode and run scandisk from there.

Chaztex

If you're unsure on how to get into safe mode, keep tapping F8 during boot up. This'll bring up a list and one of the options is Safe Mode.

I'd disagree with

Please bear in mind that you should really only do this but maybe once a year. Scandisk/defrag are just quicker ways to kill your drive.

The more fragmented the information on your hard disk becomes, the more it has to look all over the place for it. That'll slow it right down and eventually kill it.

I run scandisk (or in my case CheckDisk) once a fortnight and defrag once every three months. I guess it depends on what you use your hard disk for....

Disk Cleanup, Scan Disk and Disk Defragmenter utilities should be run in the Safe Mode and AT LEAST once a month. The Defrag just straightens out the files on the drive (laymen language) and does not cause any damage to the drive.

I have 5 comptrs and run those utilities weekly. I have never had a disk failure. And the comptrs are faster for it.

If you have problems using the F8 key, try and hold down the Ctrl key as you boot.

You did not mention if you are on a network. If you are here is some help. I had a problem with scan disk stopping.
This is my Thread I also had problems with the Internet. It has much information on the ScanDisk problem.

go to Thread615-532803

Since my thread I found a better Defrag utility.

The defrag.exe utility from Windows ME is improved and much faster and does not cut off from running background processes like WIN98 defrag.exe. You can Down Load a copy from this link.

If you need more help let us know.

Good luck,

spool

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back