Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

problems copying items to external hard drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

kayaboy

IS-IT--Management
Jan 8, 2003
US
I recently added a 500gb Western Digital (7200rpm/2.0 USB) external hard drive to our "main" computer here at home, to back up all of my wife's pictures, videos, documents, etc...we have 3 computers here at the house, all on the same network, using a wireless D-Link router, sharing the same printer & all using Windows XP.
I was under the assumption that the other 2 computers could copy data onto this drive--not just the "main" one. When I try to copy documents from another computer onto this external drive I get an error...and it will not allow me to complete this action.
any ideas??? am i doing something wrong, or is this not possible?

Two questions: 1) what error do you get and 2) is the drive attached to one computer and shared over the network or are you plugging it in to each PC?

Nelviticus

1) the error i'm getting today is:
ERROR COPYING FILE OR FOLDER...Cannot create or replace "filename": Access is denied. Make sure disk is not full or write-protected and that the file is not in use.

I could have sworn that it was a different error that I was getting the other day...

2) yes, the drive is attached to one computer and is being shared over the network...I am able to copy stuff over to the "main" computer's Shared folder, but nothing to the external drive (which is shared)...only the main computer, which is connected directly to, can copy items to this external drive...

Aha - when you shared the drive, did you tick the box that says "allow network users to change my files"? By default when you share a drive or folder using simple file sharing other users can read from it but not write to it.

You can get to this setting by right-clicking the drive in 'My Computer' and choosing 'Sharing and Security'.

Regards

Nelviticus

YES!!!
I forgot to check the box that states: "allow network users to change my files"...
after doing this, I am now able to copy files over without a problem---thanks for your help!!!
**another quick question: any recommendations on good backup software for the external drive??
thanks again!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back