Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problems copying files between DC's

Status
Not open for further replies.

cimeron

IS-IT--Management
Jul 16, 2003
US
Hi. I have a Win2k domain. I have a main DC in my HQ and each of my 3 remote servers are all DCs to my domain as well. I was wonndering why, after logging in as Admin to the entire domain, I cannot move or copy files from the HQ domain server to one of the remote servers. However, when I try to move or copy a file from the remote server to the the HQ's server it works perfectly. I am getting "Access Denied" - please check to see that the file is not in use. I have point to point T's connecting all my servers together. Any help would really be appreciated. Thanks.

Have you checked that there is no problem with the Administrator object (ie. is it also a Domain Administrator etc.)

mysteryn11 - Yes. It is a Domain Administrator.

GeneralNerd - Yes it is in the Enterprise Admin group too.

I take it all your DC are in the same domain, at root level and you have not child domains?

Have you got any problems in the Event logs regarding replication errors or trust errors?

It sounds like a trust issue. Have you tried to reestablish the trusts.

Also try and renew the machine accounts, in the Users & Computer domain objects.

Can you supply more info regarding your domain, it'll give me a better idea.

Cheers

Bert

surfk4t - Thanks for the help. Yes correct all my DCs are part of the same domain. No other child domains exist. The other DCs are in remote locations with different subnets. They come in over the Internet using a VPN tunnel to our HQ. I have one server in each of 5 locations and each is a DC to balance out authentication and stuff. No replication or other related errors in Event Viewer that I can see is part of this problem. Why should I have to manually create trusts between DCs of the same domain? Can being in different subnets have anything to do with it? We are not inhibiting any IP traffic between our VPN tunnels at all. Shouldn't they communicate properly using AD or NetBIOS over IP or something? One curious thing tho. When I go to Network Places, I see all my PCs, servers etc. under my Domain name except the one remote server that I am having this copying problem with. However, when I open a cmd or browser session with the //servername command, it opens and I can get to this server. Any help would be appreciated.

cimeron

Are you using WINS? I have had a similar problem when I moved our child DC from our main site. You need WINS or LMHOSTS files for the network neighbourhood to work. When I moved the DC I have to manually enter the DC into the WINS database. For some strange reason it does not seem to update correctly. Also, have you setup Subnet sites in Sitrs and Services? You still need to set these up regardless if they are all in the same domain.

First thing I would check is the WINS server. If you do not have one, set one up. Its easy to setup. Do you use DHCP? If you do put a SCOPE option 046 for WINS and add in the IP address of your new WINS server. You'll find that you can search through neighbourhood faster.

Double check your DNS servers, make sure you can nslookup on all the servers, and they have the correct IP addresses.

It took me a good month to get everything running smoothly, we have a Forest with 6 child domains.

What MS don't say, is that you need WINS for it all to work correctly!

Good Luck,

Put a reply once you have checked everything. I'll be interested to see if it was WINS.

Cheers

Bert

Bert is right on the money. Need to use WINS. :)

One thing to contribute to this is that some firewalls will restrict ports necessary for SMB traffic across WAN links. Check your firewalls/VPN equipment for ports 138,139 for SMB traffic. At the top of my head, I can only think of those two ports.

Gary
gwinn7
A+,N+,L+,I+

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back