Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problems converting Access 97 To 2000

Status
Not open for further replies.

MelissaKT

Technical User
Jun 22, 2004
US
We have recently upgraded our Access 97 database to Access 2000. It is on our company network and is shared by 30 people. We have not implemented security at this time, but we are working on it. Currently, anytime I try to do anything in the database window, it tells me that I don't have "exclusive access to database at this time" , If I continue with what I'm doing, it will tell me that my Save Action Command was terminated. I would truly appreciate any assistance with this problem!
Melissa

You may consider to split your database and have your own FE database for development.

Hope This Helps, PH.
Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884 or FAQ222-2244

Best method is to split your database into BE (backend) and FE (front end) as suggested.

You can also manually open up your database in Exclusive mode by opening Access (by itself, not the database), then File / Open.

Locate the database you want to open, click on the down-arrow next to your Open button, and select Open-Exclusive.

I want to thank you for responding! I do have the Database broken into a front end and back end. But, instead of having a front end on each machine, I had the front end on the network. I am currently pulling them off the network and placing them on each machine.

Also, I had originally created the db with a custom mdw file. I originally tried to create a shortcut to the db and reference the workgroup. That isn't working out because of how many different databases that we have running within our organization. BUT when I make the custom workgroup my default, it doesn't seem to "take". Any ideas? I'd appreciate any help!
Melissa

I originally tried to create a shortcut to the db and reference the workgroup. That isn't working out because of how many different databases that we have running within our organization. BUT when I make the custom workgroup my default, it doesn't seem to "take".

I'm not quite sure what you are describing, maybe you can clarify that. If you are describing your method of linking FE to BE tables, it didnt quite make sense. When I link to my tables in the BE, I map a network drive to the appropriate folder (example: I: = \\server\data\) and use the same mapped drive on all workstations. And of course, all you have to do is link the FE to the BE tables.

I have started bringing my front end to the user's machine. It seems to be working okay. The links are working fine. The problem now has to do with security. I'm trying to make the user's computer default to a custom .mdw file. But when I go into MS Access Workgroup and "join" the custom workgroup, it will remain "joined" for that session, but will default back to the system.mdw file as soon as the computer is turned off. I have been working on this conversion for months, trying to make sure that there weren't going to be any bugs- it seems like I'm being swarmed at rollout! I want to thank you again-I really do appreciate any and all help!

Here are 2 examples that show how to start Access with a shared security file:

This starts Access with security
"C:\Program Files\Office2K\Office\MSACCESS.EXE" /excl /wrkgrp "Z:\YourSharedDirectory\YourSecurity.mdw"

This starts Access and an Access Mdb with security
"C:\Program Files\Office2K\Office\MSACCESS.EXE" /excl /wrkgrp "Z:\YourSharedDirectory\YourSecurity.mdw" "C:\PROGRAM FILES\YourProgramDirectory\ProgramManager.mdb"

Create a desktop shortcut, go to the shortcut properties and change the 'Target' to something like the samples listed above.

Good Luck,
Hap [2thumbsup]

Access Developer [pc] Access based Add-on Solutions
Access Consultants forum

I understand now, but don't know why it is doing that.
The easiest fix is to find the default system.mdw file on the computer, rename "system_old", and then move your "custom" system.mdw file into the same folder. Make sure that the new file is named "system". This is how I setup my access groups.

Dear VicLavigne,

The simple way out is not always the best. I would never do what you described.

If you do what you suggest, well that solves the problem for the one app but creates a problem for every other access file you try to open on the PC.

I open 20 or 30 different mdb files each week for many different clients, some with security and some with out.
If I took your suggestion, I would need 30 PCs. By creating shortcuts, I can run many different versions of Access, many different security files and all works, on one PC.

So, create a shortcut, fix it right the first time and it will be less work in future.

Hap...

Access Consultants forum

Hap,
You just answered another question that I had - how to open just access with security! I just have one more question: Is the "excl" in the following syntax necessary? I understand that it opens "exclusive", but is that what I want?
"C:\Program Files\Office2K\Office\MSACCESS.EXE" /excl /wrkgrp "Z:\YourSharedDirectory\YourSecurity.mdw"

Thanks again!
Melissa

Dear Melissa,

No, the /excl is not required.

If you are opening a db locally and are the only person who will open it, then exclusive is the best choice, since locking the database in exclusive mode is faster.

But, that switch, on the command line, is optional.

Good Luck,
Hap...

Access Consultants forum

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back