Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problems converting Access 97 - 2000 / 2002

Status
Not open for further replies.

MatthewP

Programmer
Jan 16, 2001
GB
I've been trying to convert my Access97 database to 2000 - but it keeps crashing at really odd points, like part way through a Macro or something, with very basic code like goToControl and SetValue.

Has anyone else had any problems with this conversion, I've had a good look round the net but there doesn't seem to be anything documented regarding this.

Thanks,
Matt.

Matt,

You'll need to give a _ton_ more information if you want specific help.

Did you compile the database after converting it? Did you get errors when you converted it? For that matter, did you compile it before you converted it? What is the code being run (if it's a macro, convert it to code and post the code? What line gives you the error.

We can't debug your code if we can't see your code.

Jeremy

==
Jeremy Wallace
AlphaBet City Dataworks
Affordable Development, Professionally Done

Please post in the appropriate forum with a descriptive subject; code and SQL, if referenced; and expected results. See thread181-473997 for more pointers.

I've found the actual bit of the macro that is causing the error message - a SetValue statement in a Macro, that's taking the value of a combo box (After Update) and putting it into another field - the source of this field being the primary key of a table, thus automatically updating various other values in the form.

So : SetValue [Customer Id] to =[Customer List]

Gives the wonderful error message: 'Microsoft Access has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.' - followed by the usual Send Error Report / Dont Send options.

This happens on two forms. One crashes every time, one crashes about 1 in 3.

I have the following in the references :
Visual Basic For Applications
Microsoft Access 10.0 Object Library
Microsoft DAO 3.6 Object Library
OLE Automation
Microsoft Visual Basic For Applications Extensibility 5.3

and have tried compling everything before converting. I even tried opening the database with the /decompile option at the command line and recompiling.

Thanks,
Matt.

Matt,

I have not done this conversion specifically, but I did notice a probelm with your macro. You should not use the "=" sign for the expression in the SetValue action. Putting an "=" sign can cause very strange errors so removing it may fix your problem.

Jen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back