Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problems connecting to wireless after AD move

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarcusWendel

Technical User
Feb 22, 2002
SE
Hello all,

We've just moved to AD and now we've noticed problems with the wireless, now the XP clients can't connect to wireless networks that was no problem to connect to before the move.
Any ideas what can be causing this problem?

Thanks.

/Marcus

Do you authenticate through a Radius? How were you previous set up?

dj beenie
A+ Net+ MCP

No, no Radius, just the basic set up in the Windows client where you enter a key to connect and then you are online. Now (that is after the clients moved to AD) no ip-adress is handed out by the wireless (the same problem with all the access points tested).

/Marcus

What's handling your DHCP? The APs or your Windows server?

What were you using before you started using AD, and what else changed with it?

I've done some more testing and come up with the below results:
A new pc straight from Dell connects fine to the wireless, but when I add it to the domain and the computer policy is applied it does no longer recieve an ip-address through wireless (it recieves an ip-address from the regular network, it is the same dhcp-server, without problem).

/Marcus

I've disabled the firewall part of the computer policy, no change, any ideas of what else in the policy that can be causing problems?

/Marcus

If you have an XP client you can use Group Policy Management Console and run a query to see which policies are applied to a specific machine when a specific individual logs in. From there you can click on the policies and see what settings are set.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back