Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problems Connecting to Oracle on a different server

Status
Not open for further replies.

pdurland

Programmer
May 10, 2001
US
We are installing 5.2.3.5. The Ellipse instance is installed on a Windows server. The Oracle instance is on a different server. I can connect to the database using ODBC from the Ellipse server but am having problems with perl scripts such as oracrtctx.pl.

Here is what I get.

(e52t) c:\Mincom\Instance\Ellipse\e52t>oracrtctx.pl -user -ctxusr e52t_owner -ct
xpwd xxxxxx -syspwd yyyyyy
DBI->connect(sid=e52t;host=huey.kmg.local;port=1526) failed: [Microsoft][ODBC Dr
iver Manager] Invalid string or buffer length (SQL-S1090)(DBD: db_login/SQLConne
ct err=-1) at C:\Mincom\Executable\EDE\v1_7_3\bin\oracrtctx.pl line 488
e52t:SYSTEM:MANAGERERROR: No database connection

The sid,host and port look correct.
What does DBI->connect really do?

Any help would be appreciated.

Paul Durland
Kiewit Mining Group

I solved my own problem.
THe answer is that the env variable EDEENV_DBSHOST needs to be "localhost" even though the database is on another server.

You need EDE v1_8 or above to create remote Oracle database on Windows. EDE v1_7 does not support remote Oracle database creation on Windows.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back