Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problems connecting to FTP servers

Status
Not open for further replies.

user127

Technical User
Oct 8, 2005
GB
Hi All,

Query regarding FTP connections over the internet: I'm increasingly having to download repro files from FTP sites rather than being supplied a disc or ISDN. It is often the case that any given site will connect ok through Safari on a Mac but not on a PC with IE, and vice versa (with many other combinations inbetween). This means that significant time is wasted trying various combinations of platform and browser to try and get a transfer going. Sometimes the link has a username and password built into it (referred to by customer as browser optimised), other times this has to be entered manually. In any case the whole process is very temperamental and starting to become a proper hassle.

I wonder if anyone can clarify for me the difference between connecting through a web browser or using an FTP client?; and what key questions to consider when trying to connect? My limited understanding is that FTP should be cross platform like web, but this is certainly not the case judging by recent experience.

Example:>>>
Trying to download from a Hermstedt Stingray FTS server, using a URL.

Failed:
OS X - Firefox, error message reads something like "won't open"
OS X - Safari, error message reads something like "cannot open..."
Windows XP - IE6, eror message similar to those above
Windows XP - Smart FTP, error message similar to those above

Succeeded:
Windows 2000 - IE, connection and download worked ok.

Has anyone got any advice for troubleshooting FTP issues?

Cheers

Pixel

PixelSmith said:
error message reads something like "won't open"
error message reads something like "cannot open..."

Can you be a bit more specific with those error messages? Saying they're "something like <insert a cut off sentence here>" doesn't help in the least to determine what the probolem might be.

Dan

[tt]Dan's Page [blue]@[/blue] Code Couch
[/tt]

Sorry Dan, I'll go an have another look - was unsure as to whether the error messages would be of any use. I've heard that I need to check whether it's a problem with a passive/active setting so am looking into that.

I'll try and get accurate error messages and post them.

Hope you can excuse my relative incompetence in this area, though perhaps I was a little slap-dash when posting (a side effect of panic probably).

Pixel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back