Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

problems compiling with dev-c++

Status
Not open for further replies.

Barok

MIS
Dec 13, 2002
CA
first of all, sorry it's not microsoft c++, but i couldn't find a better forum. (there's no plain old c++ forum.)

i wanted a c++ compiler for my jumpdrive, so i downloaded dev-c++. unfortunately, when i try to compile, it won't. i get this message in the compile log.

Compiler: Default compiler
Building Makefile: "F:\dev c++\Dev-Cpp\Makefile.win"
Executing make...
make.exe -f "F:\dev c++\Dev-Cpp\Makefile.win" all
Execution terminated

and before i created a lib and include folder, i was getting this message.

Compiler: Default compiler
Executing g++.exe...
g++.exe "F:\dev c++\Dev-Cpp\Examples\Hello\Hello.cpp" -o "F:\dev c++\Dev-Cpp\Examples\Hello\Hello.exe" -I"F:\dev c++\Dev-Cpp\include\c++" -I"F:\dev c++\Dev-Cpp\include\c++\mingw32" -I"F:\dev c++\Dev-Cpp\include\c++\backward" -I"F:\dev c++\Dev-Cpp\include" -L"F:\dev c++\Dev-Cpp\lib"
Execution terminated

thanks for any help.

Well I can see one thing wrong, and one thing suspicious

> Building Makefile: "F:\dev c++\Dev-Cpp\Makefile.win"
1. creating the project in the same directory as you installed the compiler in is a really bad idea. Upgrading the compiler could cause random bits of your own work to disappear
All your own work would start in say
[tt]f:\projects\[/tt]

2. The space in [tt]dev c++[/tt] is very suspicious, simply because the trimmed name is "dev", which in some circles is regarded as being special (really special).

It seems to work well enough here if you just install the compiler itself in "c:\program files\dev-c++", then create a separate directory for your project work.

--

As far as I know, Dev-C++ for Windows does not like dir names with blanks:TIP: Do not use directory names with spaces. (from Dev-C++ docs). You have "dev c++" dir in your installation path...

I had the same problem.

I remember that it said you need certain microsoft patches if your running dev-cpp on windows.

Try going to the dev-cpp site and looking for some patches. I tryed looking for the patches that it said you need for windows but i couldnt find them.

no qbiscool. you need to download the BIG version. the 12 mb one. the one that unzips to about 45 mb. not the one that unzips to 5 mb. THAT's the mistake i made.

There is an upgrade to Dev-C++. I would recomend you download it. I like it. It seems to run smoother.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back