Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problems communicating with 56k modem

Status
Not open for further replies.

fbiwicked

Technical User
Jun 16, 2003
US
i posted a thread earlier about this problem and now i think i am getting further...
the modem is installed and i am sure that it works ( i tried it in a different computer)

i installed the modem and the drivers, and everything seems to be in order save one thing

the modem is installed on COM2 and if i go into the modems properties, go to the diagnostics tab, select the modem and click more info, it says that it cannot open the port

now, i do not have anything attached to this computer and it is completely clean, meaning i just formatted it

if i switch the modem over to COM1, and try to do the same thing as before, it says the modem failed to respond. make sure it is properly connected and turn on. if it is an internal modem or is connected, verify that the interrupt for the port is properly set.

not sure what that error means, and i dont know why it cannot open the port

can anyone help?

ok if this is the sportser modem that was in the earlier post check the pin set on the modem
You will see 2 sets of pinsets at the bottom
To have the modem plug and play with auto settings pull all the jumpers
Install the modem again
If it doesn't change the com port that the modem runs on or auto detect it again as a change go to control panel, system and remove the device from device manager
Reboot your system
Should auto detect the modem this time being as the sportster inf file is still installed on your system and install it on the right port for you.
Have installed many of these modems on different systems and it always works

ok
that sounds like some good advice only if i knew what you were talking about

lol
im not sure where these jumpers are that you are talking about

Pull the modem out of the computer
Have a look at the modem and at the very bottom just above the contacts that plug in the motherboard you will see a set of 3 and a set of 5 pin posts with black jump plugs on some
Remove all the jumpers! ( just pull them up )
Plug modem back in the computer
Follow instructions above for the rest

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back