Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problems Burning CD Formatted with Direct CD 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

altgov

MIS
Jan 25, 2002
US
I recently upgraded to XP Home, and now I can't burn CDs that have been formatted with Direct CD,using the Windows CD Writting Wizard.

Everytime I try to write the files from the holding area, I get a warning that there is not a writable cd in the drive.

Using the command prompt, I can copy all the files/directories that I want onto the CD.

Is this a common problem with XP, or is ther a setting that I am overlooking?

Cant help you much other than to say this CD is unreadable to XP. If you can get hold of an old 9x program UDF Reader you might be able to read it. However XP barely tolerates UDF Reader. Here is a good web site for all things CD.
Can you explain more by what you mean by this "Using the command prompt, I can copy all the files/directories that I want onto the CD." This sounds interesting.

I believe that DirectCD is a proprietary packet-writing scheme from Roxio that makes a writeable CD resemble a floppy in some ways. The built-in XP CD-writing software is supposed to be of Roxio origin, so it might be that XP supports DirectCD format at some level. I had assumed it only did mass-writes of "staged" files.

My guess is that the holding or staging area is a simplified approach to something like EasyCD Creator, using a normal, more standard CD-R/RW format (instead of DirectCD). This method can't write to DirectCD-format disks.

So copying files to the CD writer is very different from "staging" them for a mass write operation.

Have you tried drag/drop copying of a file to the CD writer using Windows Explorer?

I've installed late versions of Roxio's software along with their "XP fixes" that upgrade the product to work properly on XP. For this reason I can't duplicate your situation.

dilletante

I am interested in the XP fixes for EasyCD Creator can you point me to them please. I have the same problems as altgov and went to their website and could only find links to an upgrade that you had to pay for and as I had only bought EasyCD 3 months before I wasn't very keen to spend more. (skinflint!) Learn something new every day *:->*

Dilletante is on the right track with XP having it's own packet-writing software. Turns out that XP (both home and pro) have serious conflicts between DirectCD and Media Player. For that matter, only Easy CD Creator 5 Platinum and Basic (with update patch from Roxio) will work on XP provided you do a custom install and get rid of DirectCD from the load list. XP just likes it's own Media Player to write in packets instead of any other program. It's just finicky like that.

Hope this helps,
Jisoo22

linney, to expand on the "command Prompt" issue.

I can use a DOS prompt, to do any of the normal DOS commands on the CD (ie.. md, rd, copy, delete) and they perform normally on the cd. It is when I try to do the drag and drop of Windows Explorer that I have the problems of not being able to actually write the files from the staging area.

I think the only "updates" from Roxio for XP require one of the "version 5" products.

Problem Solved!!

I feel stupid saying this, but the most recent patch from Roxio fixed it. When I installed XP, Dell included an updated Roxio program to reinstall. Well apparently, it hadn't been tested real well, because it caused the forementioned problems. I downloaded the most recent fix the other night, and thing appear to be working fine.

Thanks for everyones help.

If you upgraded windows to xp, then you probably need to upgrade your version of direct cd and easy cd creator you can download the patches from the adaptec website, the reason for this is that easy cd and direct cd have compatibity issues with win2000 and xp. Worked for me.

I have Adaptec DirectCD/Easy CD Creator 4. I wanted to backup my hard drive so I first formatted my CD for read/write. When I tried to burn it, I get this message:

"Warning: Reseration conflict. This drive cannot be used because it is already being used by Adaptec DirectCD Kernal"

I tried different brands of CD-RWs but got the same message each time. Now I can't even get my CD out of the drive!!

Suggestions???? I need to backup my hard drive!!!
Thanks..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back