Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problems backing up Public Folders from Exchange 2003

Status
Not open for further replies.

jciarlette

Technical User
Aug 27, 2002
US
This is the error I am receiving:

[3504] mbpfsv(3517): Error getting RecordSet for " Calendar/" Error: 0x80004005
[3504] COM error: 0x80004005
Source: Provider
Description: Unspecified error

Any Ideas?

Do you also have a SQL Database installed on the same server?

No sql. New server running only Exchange 2003 / Win 2003 & antivirus.

The PF backups seem to run ok from the networker user for exchange app, but error out when the server group starts. Backups of the filesystem, info store, and individual mailboxes work fine. I added the reccomended permissions (from the legato exchange module admin guide) and verified that they are inherited by the public store object. It is run under a separate user account just for the backup task and has no other purpose. I logged in under this same account to test it from networker user for exchange, and worked ok. If it's relavant, these folders are being replicated to/from a pre-existing 5.5 server.

Here's the relavant excerpt of the completion notice:

--- Unsuccessful Save Sets ---
* mail1:MSEXCH:pF savegrp: suppressed 14 lines of output - check daemon.log for details.
* mail1:MSEXCH:pF Processing "PA - Public Affairs"
* mail1:MSEXCH:pF Processing "National Calendar"
* mail1:MSEXCH:pF mbpfsv(1563): Item backup failed for Calendar/xxxx.EML Error: 0x80070005
* mail1:MSEXCH:pF COM error: 0x80070005
* mail1:MSEXCH:pF Source: Provider
* mail1:MSEXCH:pF Description: Access is denied.
* mail1:MSEXCH:pF Processing "STI Group"
* mail1:MSEXCH:pF mbpfsv(3573): Error getting RecordSet for " Group/" Error: 0x80004005
* mail1:MSEXCH:pF COM error: 0x80004005
* mail1:MSEXCH:pF Source: Provider
* mail1:MSEXCH:pF Description: Unspecified error
* mail1:MSEXCH:pF mbpfsv(1209): Error backing up folder: (0x80004005)
* mail1:MSEXCH:pF svmain(930): process_pf_backup() failed with status = 0x80004005
* mail1:MSEXCH:pF Backup operation finished with errors.

This points to either virus problems or using text with foreign characters, for example french accents ar german umlauts. Legato should be aware of this issue. Please contact support.

I have no virus problems. I think it is a rights issue but cannot resolve it. It worked at one time but then just stopped.

Hello, I'm experiencing the same problems with backing up Exchange 2003 Public folders. Does anyone know if this problem was ever fixed?
Many thanks.

I found this on Legato´s knowledge base:

-------------------------------------------------------------
COM error: 0x80070005:

Make sure the backup user has owner permissions on the Public Folders:

1. Open Exchange System Manager
2. Expand SERVERS
3. Go to the EXCHANGE server
4. Click on the Storage Group that has the Public Folders
5. Go to the "Public Folder Store"
6. In "PUBLIC FOLDERS", right click the public folder(s) you want to backup and select properties
7. Select "Client Permissions..." from the permissions tab
8. Make sure the backup user is the owner of the folder (add the user if the user is not there)

Where "backup user" is the user that is being used to backup the Exchange Server.

------------------------------------------------------------
COM error: 0x80004005:

Known Issue: LGTpa67654 (Work in Progress) Please contact Legato (EMC Software Group) Technical Support for more information

P.S. This is a Microsoft issue and MS Developer Support case has been opened.

Microsoft announces that the HotFix kits for KB 886811 are now available for both Exchange Server 2000 and Exchange Server 2003.
-----------------------------------------------------------

Hope it helps!
Cheers!
Maverick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back