Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problems adding Wireless Repeater

Status
Not open for further replies.

MaintenanceMadeEasy

Programmer
Jun 1, 2003
US
I was wondering if someone could help me with resolving a network problem on my Home / home office network. I am trying to add a repeater(ie range extender), and can't get it to see the internet. I can find individual components on my internal network by logging onto the repeater and using IP address, but nothing outside of it. I can only see the internet by logging onto my wireless router directly. I will be the first to admit that my expertise is in programming, not networking, so I am not entirely sure if I have set everything up correctly. Below is my setup:

- Internet provided by Time Warner and a Cablemodem
- The office is on a domain with DNS provided by a Windows 2003 Server at 192.168.1.25)
- A netgear FSV318 router(192.168.1.2) is connected to the Cable Modem
- The office domain connects Via the netgear router
- A linksys router WRT150N (192.168.1.2) is connected to the Netgear to provide wireless to the rest of the house.

I am trying to connect a Hawking HWREN1 Repeater to the Linksys Wireless, but with out success. It finds the router but fails to connect. I can only connect to internal items using their ip address.

I don't want to assign Static IPs to the wireless as that creates problems when my wife takes her laptop to school.

I am using 192.168.1.2 (the netgear) as the Gateway, but I am not sure this is right.
Am I correct in using the netgear as a DNS? My concern is that it may conflict with the DNS at x.x.x.25. Wireless will not connect if this is turned off.

My Thanks for you help

By looking at the documentation on this it would appear that the extender plugs into the linksys and it's boosting the signal.

With that said I would have the linksys provide all the ip and dns information. I am not clear on the wizard setup from the CD provided. Did you run it?

I will look into it further , the docs are not easy to locate.

[americanflag] Go Army!
Tek-TIP Member 19,650

I screw around with this over the weekend and I Have it working now. I am not exactly what I did, but I had to play with the settings found in the routers "Web Screens". FYI the manual and setup CD were no help for my situation. I think the final step that got it working was adding my domains DNS IP. Any way, it is working now and we are not touching it.

Make sure to get screen shots of the config, if it goes down and you have to fix it you'll be in the same boat.

I think the issue was in the network ip,gw,subnet, and dns field as well...

[americanflag] Go Army!
Tek-TIP Member 19,650

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back