Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problems adding printer in W2K Server

Status
Not open for further replies.

abaddonb

MIS
Jul 25, 2002
US
Early Afternoon,

I'm trying to add a HP printer to my network on our W2K server, and when I add it thru Create new port- HP Jetdirect Port, it gives me the following error message- "Specific port cannot be added. The request is not supported". I've never had this problem adding a HP printer to our network before. I also have HP JetAdmin installed to locate the printer, but I'm still having this problem. Any suggestions/tips would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Did you assign an ip address to the printer? Also, when you add it to the server, do you select local printer with a tcp/ip port? Glen A. Johnson
Microsoft Certified Professional
glen@nellsgiftbox.com
[americanflag]

"A person often meets his destiny on the road he took to avoid it."
Jean de La Fontaine (1621-1695); French poet.

Well, we are running DHCP so the network automatically assigns the printer and IP address. When adding it to the server, I'm selecting Local Printer but with the HP Jetdirect port. That's how I've added all the HP printers on my network, but this is the first time I've gotten this message.

Let me know if you need any other info.

Thanks.

I've not worked with dhcp. If you don't get a solution, you could create a scope and put the printer in there with a fixed ip. Not what you want to hear, but just an idea. Good luck. Glen A. Johnson
glen@nellsgiftbox.com
[americanflag]

Well, the problem doesn't seem to lie with the IP address, but more with the W2K server. For some reason, it won't let me add the printer port. I'm sure I could go to TCP/IP port, but I wanna know why this is happening.

Are you trying to create a duplicate port, so it won't let two identical ports exist? Glen A. Johnson
glen@nellsgiftbox.com
[americanflag]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back