Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problems adding a 9 GIG 2nd hard drive to rootvg vg on AIX 4.2

Status
Not open for further replies.

mmssi

MIS
Aug 22, 2000
US
Hello out there.

I am trying to install a 9 GIG hard drive to an RS/6000 running AIX 4.2.1. It is already showing when I run a lspv as hdisk1. hdisk0 is the main (original) hard drive on the system. I want to keep the hdisk 0 which is assigned vg of rootvg. The hdisk0 is a 4.2 GIG drive.

When I run the lspv the hdisk1 shows a PVID but shows "none" for the vg, because I am trying to extended it in the rootvg vg. So when I try to run the command "extendvg -f rootvg hdisk1" then the system pops up with a messages something to the fact of the PP size needs to be different as the limit is 1016 and I have to change it to a different size PP other than a value of 4. So my question is, is how do I change the pp size to say 8 or whatever on the hdisk1 drive when it DOESN"T have a vg assigned yet to it because I am trying to assign or extended it to the rootvg vg. And once I do that how or can I still extend that hdisk1 to the rootvg vg.

Hopefully this makes sense and enough detail for this.

The problem you have is your disk in rootvg (hdisk0) is inferior in size to 8GB, then you partition size is 8MB, and your new disk is superior, then with the default values, you'll have only to 1016 physical partitions on your disk, and than can't fill your complete disk...

You must to modify your actual [tt]rootvg[/tt] before trying to extend it. Try
[tt]
chvg -t 2 rootvg
[/tt]
... and this will double your total number of physical partitions per disk from 1016 to 2032, and will halve your total number of disk in the group from 32 to 16; then, you can try to grow the group using [tt]extendvg rootvg hdisk1[tt]

I hope it works...

I tried that and there isn't a -t flag for the chvg command. Got anything else to try?

hi
Actually -t flag is introduced with mkvg and chvg commands in aix4.3.1 and Aix4.3.2.
As far as Aix4.2 is cocerned perhaps this addition process of 9.1 Gb drive to a vg
already having 4.2 Gb drive will not be possible simply b/c of 1016 pps limitations
and diff in default pp size.Anyhow you can add a new vg to 9.1 GB drive with
greater pp size(greater then 8Mb; use mkvg -s) Or PERHAPS reinstalling aix with both of disks as destination disks for operating system can solve the problem.

Regds

Shiraz

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back