Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problems accessing Internet/LAN

Status
Not open for further replies.

barnegattech

Technical User
Jun 19, 2004
US
I'm having a problem with two computers accessing the Internet and LAN. The LAN consists of a Windows 2K Server, a Linksys router, and several machines. The router is handling the DHCP.
The two computers are XP Pro machines. They will only access either the LAN or Internet depending on the DNS Setting. If set to the router (x.x.x.2), they will access the Internet fine, but cannot log into the domain. If set to the 2000 Server (x.x.x.1), they can log into the domain and access the rest of the LAN, but cannot access the Internet. We have tried switching both DNS IPs between Primary and Alternate DNS Servers under each machine. It seems whichever one is under Primary is the only one the computer uses. Is there something we're missing?

What are the functions of the Win2K server & Linksys router? If they are both trying to perform the same functions, you're guaranteed to have a problem. Specificaly: which one provides DHCP service? Which one is the gateway to the internet?

The router is handling DHCP. DHCP is turned off on the server. The Router is specifically for Internet being connected to the Comcast cable modem. The server is handling the domain for Lan access (for accessing files on the server). The server has static IP (x.x.x.1) and router has static ip (x.x.x.2) On the XP machines, IP is set to dynamic and DNS is set to static listing both server and router as preferred dns and alternate dns. It seems that what ever one is set to preferred gets access (ie if router is preferred xp has access to Internet, if server is preferred xp has access to lan. However not access to both) The gateway is dynamic.

also dns server was disabled on the server as well. either enabled or disabled still have problem.

I'm going to guess that everything is doing exactly what it is configured to do. If you set the dns to your internet router, you will resolve public internet addresses, and will not resolve internal lookups and vice-versa.

You need to configure your internal DNS server to communicate with your ISP's DNS server. I'm not sure off the top of my head how to make this configuration. configuring WINS might help too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back