Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problem with XP-Pro Power management schemes 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

daldous

Technical User
Feb 23, 2002
US
[dazed]All I want to do is turn the monitor off after 10-15 minutes or so. My cpu/display power management simply does not work. None of the possibilities are "Ghosted", I can select various options, times etc. and they appear to "save" in the registry; they just don't work. I have searched many threads on various forums and I have checked the registry for correct values and group policy under GpEdit.msc (where nothing is configured, enabled or disabled). I am logged in as administrator. My new motherboard has the keyboard/mouse enabled for wake-up. No games or unusual software is on the system (except NoAdware, SpyBot, and Symantec Antivirus).

What am I overlooking?? [blush] By the way, screensavers have the same problem. They appear to configure, they will activate from "preview" in properties dialog, but they will not activate with live system. I don't really care about them but the problem may be related.

System is: Home/office desk computer with new install of XP-PRO and SP2, AMD Sempron 2400, ABIT K7 MBoard, Sony SDM-HS93Flat panel display, NVIDIA GeForce2 MX 100/200 PCI Video card

Did you install the correct monitor .INF file?
Are you set to just Plug-and-Play standard monitor?

Yes, the Sony driver is installed for the monitor. (I just double-checked). Same for the video card.

Thanks!!

And Control Panel, Power Options, is your schema set to "Always on", and the monitor and hard drives not set to "Never." ?

When attempting to create and save Power schemes in Microsoft® Windows® XP, the schemes may appear to save correctly but not show up the next time the Power Options Properties dialog box is opened. Additionally, some default schemes may not show up in the Power schemes list.

To use Windows Power Options, you must have a computer that is set up by the manufacturer to support these features. For more information, see the documentation that came with your computer.

Restore power schemes (line 204, right column)

Windows XP Screensaver Timeout Problem
thread779-639552

XP Pro Screensaver Quit Working
Thread779-453976

Hi -- In the control panel, the schema is set to Home/Office desk, the monitor is set to 10 minutes and the hard drive is set to "never".

*** While sitting and staring at my system, I just noticed that the hard drive light is flashing periodically!! I suppose that (something running in the background) could cause all of my symptoms, couldn't it??? I don't have a clue how to find it. Any help???

thx daldous

It is likely the background optomization of XP and is normal. It would not prevent the monitor going into standby.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back