Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problem with XP Pro joining NT4 Domain

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 13, 2002
CA
Hi hope someone can help me on this one.

Recently I have had limited sucess in attaching an XP Pro system (static TCP/IP addr.)to our NT4 Domain. Sucess in the sense that I can create the account on the domain, failure in the sense that althought the account appears to be created, i.e., I can logon to the domain, the workstation is greyed out in Server Manager, and I cannot see the workstation when I attempt to browse it in Network Neighbourhood.

The XP Pro machine is a new replacement system to win98 box. I have defined the old Win98 computer name when I created the account for the XP Pro system on the domain.

I use two application Norton Antivirus CE and Ghost CE which facilitate client installs provided the NAV and Ghost Servers can see the workstaion on the network. At this point in time, neither of the two server apps can see the workstation. I suspect that it relates somehow to fact that the wrkstn appears greyed out in Server Manager on the PDC.

I've tried several iterations the following:

Removed the XP sys from the Server manager on the PDC. Synchronized domain.
Removed the XP system from the domain to a workgroup. Restarted XP sys then adding the XP system to the domain.
Restarted XP sys then adding the XP system to the domain.

Removed the XP from domain to a wrkgrp restarted sys.
Removed the XP sys from the Server manager on the PDC.
Synchronized domain.
Restarted XP sys then adding the XP system to the domain.
Synchronized domain.

I was wondering if I should try joining the domain under a different name?

Anybody else had this problem or similar one? or can suggest a solution?

Thanks in advance ... Lief

Security on XP is very tight.

It is no good logging on as a Domain Admin or even Administrator of the domain. Under NT you would be a God but this does not impress XP. Many areas will be greyed out, as if you had logged in as a humble user.

You will need to log onto the XP PC as Administrator of the PC and then in Users make Domain Admins or whatever a member of Power Users.

Thanks Bob. I'm not sure I see your train of thought on this one. Perhaps I should outline more specifically what I've attempted to do to this point:

1. During initial setup of the XP system, I configured network parameters to have the system join the NT4 Domain using a previous defined NetBios name( I used the Domain Admin acct. the create acct on the domain). I recieved a system message indicated that the XP Pro system was succesfully added to the Domain (eg. welcome to doamin xxx etc.).

2. On the XP system, using a domain account, I performed a test logon to see if I could authenticate on the domain and indeed I can.

3. From the NAVCE/Ghost Apps Server, I attempted to push the clients onto the XP Pro system, however, the NetBios name for the XP Pro system did not appear in the list of wrkstns identified as being members of the domain. Since I can't identify a target to push the clients to I couldn't install the clients.

4. I logged onto the PDC (NT4 Server) console and launched Server Manager. Server manager identifies the workstation I defined in step 1, however, it is greyed out.

I then tried the adding and removing the XP system as I defined in my previous note. I thought of trying the following (what do you think?):

1. Logon to the XP Pro system as Admin. Remove the system from the domain and join a workgrp.
2. Using Server manager on the doamin, remove the XP Pro account and Synchronize the domain.
3. On the XP Pro system, redefine the Computername to one not used before, and then attempt to join the domain under a new name.

The problem as I see it that you are assuming that logging on to the PDC as Administrator gives you rights on the XP PC. It does not. You have no rights on the XP PC until you have sat in front of the XP PC and logged on with the Administrator account for the XP PC ( not the Administrator account for the Domain).

Go to Users and Groups and add Administrator of the Domain as a member of the local Power Users group.

Thanks Bob. I'll give your suggestion a try and let you know what happens. I'm a little slow on the uptake for XP. This is the first system I've actually put my hands on with XP as the OS.

Cheers ... Lief

I followed up on your suggest Bob - still greyed out in Server Manager- hmmm. Its not that I'm trying to gain rights on the XP system by going to the PDC console and logging as a Domain Admin, it's the other way around, the Security log in Event Viewer on the PDC indicates the machine account for the XP system is failing to logon/authenticate with the domain. Yet as I indicated above, during the network phase of setup for the XP system, when I defined the parameters to join the Domain it indicates I've joined the Domain and creates the broken account - hmmm.

I've found it!!! When I click on the greyed icon for the machine in Server manager at the PDC console it indicates
"Network Path was not found." I did a google search on
"Network Path was not found" "Server manager" and looked at the following URL

When I checked the XP system, indeed File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks was unselected (I guess I'm still back in the stone age in that I didn't think of it as
the equivalent of the Windows NT 4.0 Server service). I started it up on the XP box et-voila problem fixed.

Cheers ... Lief

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back