Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problem with XML, VMWare and Chr$(0)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bob26i

Programmer
Jun 11, 2003
US
Can someone help me? I've got a program that uses the Save and Open methods of the ADODB.Recordset object to save data to an XML file and later on read it.

When we run the program on Win2K, it works perfectly.

But when we run the program on Win2K through a VMWare session, it bombs with an invalid character error when we try to sort the XML file. The XML, apparently is saved with 3 Chr$(0) characters.

I'd like them to be spaces instead. I've tried to run the query using the NVL statement to remove nulls, but that doesn't do anything.

Any suggestions?

I don't have VMWare (I've seen it and it is indeed very cool!), but what I suspect is happening is that it's attempting to pad your XML out to an even 4 bytes.

Chip H.

Thanks, Chip. But it's not happening at the end of the file, but in the middle. And VMWare is only cool until you have to use it every day. I can't tell you how often my hard drive has spent minutes grinding simply because I've got a VMWare session open. However, I've been able to catch up on some reading during those inactive periods.

Oops, forgot to mention. The files are actually saved the same in VMWare versus Win2K (was able to find that out yesterday). But it can't Sort in VMWare, and it can in Win2K.

Sorry, Bob, I'm out of suggestions. I would contact VMWare and see if they know about it.

Chip H.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back