Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

problem with web service time outs

Status
Not open for further replies.

FALCONSEYE

Programmer
Jul 30, 2004
US
ok, i am having a big issue with invoking a web service. sometimes, the web service in question fails to respond. when i used :
<cfinvoke webservice..." method="createNewOrder" timeout="10" returnvariable="myCUID">

it seems like it always times out. I tried increasing the timeout to even 25 seconds and got no luck. Generally, this process takes between 3-8.5 seconds. is there a better way for checking timeouts for webservice calls?
thanks.

If the web service is not run by you, then you cannot do much about its reliability.
If you want to have better error handling, you can put a CFTRY/CFCATCH block around your cfinvoke to stop the site throwing an error when it times out.

Regards
--
Russ Michaels
CFDeveloper.co.uk
ColdFusion Developer community and FREE developer hosting

i did have cftry and cfcatch hoping i could catch the timeout. however, it just hung in there and not return anything. cfinvoke with timeout doesn't work either for some reason. therefore, i ended up pinging the server first where the webservice is, and then make a call to that webservice. i know it kind of sux, but it seems to be only choice at this moment. thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back