Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problem with VPN from Win98 PC to NT server network

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcleodal

Technical User
Feb 8, 2005
GB
I am trying to set up a vpn connection from a PC running Windows 98SE to a network with an NT Server. When I try to connect, i receive an error message of

Error 751 The remote computer refused the remote connection

The user account has been allowed permission to dial in.

I don't know whether there is anything else on the server that needs to be configured or whether there are any settings on the network's adsl modem that may be preventing this.

Has anyone got any thoughts?

Are you authenticating via AD?

Computer/Network Technician
CCNA

The NT server does not have AD as such (in the sense of Win 2000 Server).

When I attempt to start the remote access administrator, I get the following error:

Error 2185 The service name is invalid

I am not sure whether the server was originally locked down for security reasons to prevent any remote access.

Apart from this, as far as I know, their ISP manage their router, so one thing I can do is contact them to see if remote access is blocked there. If I get this opened up, that should leave the service on the NT server to sort out.

Has anyone any more thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back