Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problem with Vista Business 64

Status
Not open for further replies.

webpanther54

Technical User
Feb 20, 2009
US
Hi I have a setup of 4 computer the consist of
Vista Business
XP Pro Intel on this machine I’m running Microsoft Virtual 2007 with windows Server 2000Pro
Mandriva Power pack 2008.1 Samba 3.028
Mandriva Power pack 2009 Samba 3.27
Both Linux have Webmin 1.470 installed
All Boxes are in the same network
The problem what I’m having is 1
In both Linux machines I can’t see the Vista Box in configure windows® Share/Access Windows (SMB) share Drives and directories only xp pro and windows server200Pro
In the older version of Mandriva 10/10.1 I used to shared and edited my var/ with my vista with no problem thru samba used user with root log in .
Can someone help to tell me how to and find why I can’t see the darn vista box and set up my system again so I can edited my var/ in both linux boxes and see the share of the win vista box?

So the Vista system can see the Linux system and other network connectivity is OK?

Can you ping the Vista system from the Linux system?

There are some changes in Vista regarding SMB.

I'm not clear what you are trying to do - just access shares on the Vista system? Why would you need a root login to do this? Are you sure File and Print sharing is turned on in the Vista system?

Can you ping the Vista system from the Linux system?
yes i can and when i use the AutoScan Network 1.42 i can access thru Nautilus the share folder temporary.
But the i need to mount permanent windows share on both linux machine so i can use the share them in ftp server on linux
I need access to both Linux machines to var/ and home/owner/var/ from vista to edit those pages with my editor

For printing, best bet is to set up Samba to print via CUPS. Set the printer queue up in CUPS to use a RAW data stream to the appropriate port.

If you are running DHCP on all these machines, they need a way to find each other, since IP addresses may change. Check content of /etc/nsswitch.conf.

In /var/log/samba/ there will be a bunch of log files. I'd check these to see if you can see any errors popping up when you try to connect in both directions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back