Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

problem with Vista Backup 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

sedgely

Technical User
Feb 21, 2002
GB
hi
i have recently got a new Vista machine and am trying to use the backup utility with a Maxtor external USB drive however when i select "backup files" in the backup and restore center it gets as far as "Looking for backup devices" and stays there forever. if i unplug the USB drive and try again it manages to find my DVD writer.
Any ideas on what is wrong? i can use the Maxtor drive normally thru explorer.

Thanx.

Cheers, Craig
Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere

For experimentation, use disk management (dskmgmt.msc) to manually assign the external drive some other drive letter. Then try the backup utility again.

OK
will try that when i get home tonite and post back the result

Thanx

Cheers, Craig

smah
tried as you suggested but still the same, any other ideas?

Cheers, Craig

After looking around, there seems to be several possibilities. What other USB connected devices do you have? Make sure that those are all updated and that there are no unrecognized devices in device manager. With your other usb devices disconnected, try a clean boot an see if you get the same results

WOOHOO! sorted

Thanks smah

i took your advice and disconnected all other USB devices, including my internal card reader then rebooted and backup found my drive first time. i then reconnected everything and it couldn't find it, however i disconnected the drive (which was plugged into one of the USB ports on the front of the case and connected it to one on the back and all works!!!
thanks again for the inspiration, i'm now a happy bunny again LOL.
have yourself a star!

Cheers, Craig

Glad you got it sorted out. For fun, if you go to device manager and view the devices by connection, I suspect that you'll find that your backup drive and your card reader are now on different usb root hubs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back