Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problem with varchar length

Status
Not open for further replies.

lmuk

Technical User
Jun 16, 2004
US
Hi

I have a varchar field with a length of 3000. However, its not letting me enter that much data.

I tried entering the data bit by bit to rule out any problems with the data itself and it was all fine until I had entered 1021 characters - beyong that it won't let me type/paste in any more. When I try to paste in the whole thing (about 1500 characters) it just doesn't put anything at all in there. I'm trying to enter the data in enterprise manager.

Any ideas what the problem could be - I'm quite new to SQL Server.

Thanks
Lindsey

In SQL Server 2000 , you can insert varchar(8000) ! I think you are trying to view that inserted data into SQL Enterprise Manager into table , if you increased the height of rows in that table then I am sure you can see your further text as well. Just hold the row and scroll down and increased the hieght. I hope it would work for you. I have been in the situation like that.

Try to use

Select Len(Fieldname) from table

to make sure what is the lenght of that text in that field.

Muhammad Essa Mughal
Software Engineer
iLogic Inc.

I hope you've already figured this one out, but...

This appears to be a bug in Enterprise Mgr. I had the exact same problem this morning. I was able to get around it by inserting the data using SQL Query Analyzer and plain ole SQL.

Enterprise Manager won't show you all the data in a varchar field if the amount of data is to big.

Enterprise Manager wasn't designed to be a data edit tool. It was designed as a system administration tool, which is why some of it's features aren't as powerfull as they could be. It's text editing features are amoung it's faults.

Data should (as often as possible) be edited through T/SQL statements in Query Analyser or osql.

Denny

--Anything is possible. All it takes is a little research. (Me)

Good point. Bug really was the wrong word here. It EM works fine for admin related items, which is all I usually do with it. I'll be using other ways to load/manipulate data from now on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back