Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problem with user logins.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 2, 2002
US
All of a sudden I have having users get this error when they log on. This does not happen to all users though. It seems like it is mostly happening to win98 users. I have also tried other users id's on the same computers getting the message and their accounts can log in. I have tried my administrator account and it can also log on.

I also had a Win2k user have this happen to
them. Is this due to mapped drives? We have all user profiles map a drive to a user folder where they can store up personal information etc.
Here is the error when they put their username and password in and try to logon:

This request is not accepted by the network. Try again later.

Any ideas??

We are in a mixed WinNT server and Win2k Server environment...

Hi,

Can you disable the license manager service on all servers
and see if that helps?

Ash.

Well here is what I did and so far it seems to be working ok. All servers in our environment (15) are all set to use per seat licensing. I tried to switch the two DC's we have to per server licensing, and our main fileserver to per server licensing and so far it seems ok. (crosses fingers)

sounds like your environment is fairly big (15 servers)...why would you want to set the licensing to Per Server? Just curious, as I recently was researching this exact topic...from what I found, it sounded like once you go over a certain number of users/servers, Per Seat licensing is the mode you should be in. I don't remember the numbers, but it was something like:
25 users x 4 servers = 100 possible connections
and I think once this number goes beyond 30 or something, Per Seat licensing is definitely preferred.

trust me, I'm no expert...just what I was researching....
-Drew

Drew,

I probably read the same article. Our servers where all set to per seat licensing. I implemented AD and have had so many problems since then. For instance I have a fileserver that I have to reboot every couple of hours because it hangs up, and does not let any remote connections connect to it. I have tried building it on win2k, (as it was previously an NT server box) and had no luck. I even rebuilt it back on NT (and it still does not work) I am thinking I have some type of problem with AD....

I didn't have any problems until I upgraded to AD it seems......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back