Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problem with updating records

Status
Not open for further replies.

vcharles

IS-IT--Management
Jun 29, 2004
US
Hello,

I am trying to update a table based on row selected in a grid (C1TrueDBGrid1.Columns(1).Value), but I am getting the following error:

Update unable to find TableMapping['Table'] or Data Table 'Table'

Can you please help me locate the error in my code.

Code:

Dim ConnectionString As String = "Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;Data Source=|DataDirectory|\AOPT2002org.mdb;Persist Security Info=True;Jet OLEDB:Database Password=testaopupdate"
Dim objConnection As New OleDb.OleDbConnection(ConnectionString)

Dim objDataAdapter As New OleDb.OleDbDataAdapter("select * from AOP5", objConnection) 'where country in(SELECT COUNTRY FROM AOP5 WHERE SN like " & "'" & result & "'" & ")order by country", objConnection)
'dataset object
Dim objDataSet As New DataSet
'fill dataset
objConnection.Open()
'************************************
objDataAdapter.Fill(objDataSet, "Chapter")
MsgBox(C1TrueDBGrid1.Columns(1).Value)
Try
objDataAdapter.Update(objDataSet)
objDataAdapter.SelectCommand.CommandText = ("INSERT INTO AOP5(NSN) VALUES('" & C1TrueDBGrid1.Columns(1).Value & "')")

objDataSet.Clear()
objDataAdapter.Fill(objDataSet)
Catch ex As Exception
MsgBox(ex.Message)
Exit Sub
End Try

Thanks,

Products used ACCESS 2003, VS 2008.

Victor

Change this line:

to this:

objDataAdapter.Update(objDataSet[red], "Chapter"[/red])

When using a DataSet, you have to tell it which table you want to update, even if there is only 1 table.

I used to rock and roll every night and party every day. Then it was every other day. Now I'm lucky if I can find 30 minutes a week in which to get funky. - Homer Simpson

Arrrr, mateys! Ye needs ta be preparin' yerselves fer Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Hello,
I need to update a link Table with the data I select from multiple grids, the problem is only the last command statement takes effect, therefore I am only updating the link table from the last command statement, is there a way to update the link table with all the command statements?

Thanks,

Code:

Dim ConnectionString As String = "Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;Data Source=|DataDirectory|\aop29.mdb"
Dim sql As String = "Select * from Link_TableA"
Dim daaop5 As New OleDb.OleDbDataAdapter(sql, objConnection)
Dim ds As New DataSet()
Dim dsA As New DataSet()
daaop5.Fill(ds)
daaop5.Update(ds)
C1TrueDBGrid1.AllowAddNew = True

daaop5.SelectCommand.CommandText = ("INSERT INTO Link_TableA(COMPANY_ID) VALUES('" & C1TrueDBGrid1.Columns(0).Value & "')")
daaop5.SelectCommand.CommandText = ("INSERT INTO Link_TableA(Receiver_ID) VALUES('" & C1TrueDBGrid2.Columns(0).Value & "')")

daaop5.Fill(ds)
daaop5.Update(ds)

Try something like this:

Dim cmdCompany As OleDbCommand
Dim cmdReceiver as OleDbCommand

Dim CompanySQL As String
Dim ReceiverSQL As String

Dim Trans As OleDbTransaction

CompanySQL = "INSERT INTO Link_TableA(COMPANY_ID) VALUES(@COMPANY_ID)"

cmdCompany = New OleDbCommand(CompanySQL, objConnection)

cmdCompany.Parameters.Add("@COMPANY_ID")

cmdCompany.Parameters("@CompanyID").Value = C1TrueDBGrid1.Columns(0).Value

ReceiverSQL = "INSERT INTO Link_TableA(Receiver_ID) VALUES(@Receiver_ID)"

cmdReceiver = New OleDbCommand(ReceiverSQL, objConnection)

cmdReceiver.Parameters.Add("@Receiver_ID")

cmdReceiver.Parameters("@Receiver_ID").Value = C1TrueDBGrid2.Columns(0).Value

Try
Trans = objConnection.BeginTransaction

cmdCompany.Transaction = Trans

cmdCompany.ExecuteNonQuery()

cmdReceiver.Transaction = Trans

cmdReceiver.ExecuteNonQuery()

Trans.Commit

Catch ex As Exception
'an error occurred, so rollback the transaction
If Not Trans is Nothing Then
Trans.RollBack
End If

MsgBox("Error saving data.")
MsgBox(ex.Message)

End Try

I used to rock and roll every night and party every day. Then it was every other day. Now I'm lucky if I can find 30 minutes a week in which to get funky. - Homer Simpson

Hello,

I'm getting the following error:

The OleDbParameterCollection only accepts non-null OleDbParameter type objects, not String objects.

In line : cmdCompany.Parameters.Add("@COMPANY_ID")

Can you please help me fix that part of the code.

Thanks,

Victor

Hello,

I got it to work partially with the code below, the problem is the data from each grid is saved in different records, is there a way to save the data from both grids in one record?. I don't don't know how to concatenate the code, perhaps that would be the solution.

Thanks,

Dim ConnectionString As String = "Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;Data Source=|DataDirectory|\aop29.mdb"
Dim cmdCompany As OleDbCommand
Dim cmdReceiver As OleDbCommand

Dim CompanySQL As String
Dim ReceiverSQL As String

objConnection.Open()
Dim Trans As OleDbTransaction

CompanySQL = "INSERT INTO Link_TableA(Company_ID) VALUES(@Company_ID)"

cmdCompany.Parameters.AddWithValue("@Company_ID", C1TrueDBGrid1.Columns(0).Value)

ReceiverSQL = "INSERT INTO Link_TableA(Receiver_ID) VALUES(@Receiver_ID)"
cmdReceiver = New OleDbCommand(ReceiverSQL, objConnection)

cmdReceiver.Parameters.AddWithValue("@Receiver_ID", C1TrueDBGrid2.Columns(0).Value)

Try
Trans = objConnection.BeginTransaction

cmdCompany.Transaction = Trans

cmdCompany.ExecuteNonQuery()

cmdReceiver.Transaction = Trans

cmdReceiver.ExecuteNonQuery()

Trans.Commit()

Catch ex As Exception
'an error occurred, so rollback the transaction
If Not Trans Is Nothing Then
Trans.Rollback()
End If

MsgBox("Error saving data.")
MsgBox(ex.Message)

CompanySQL = "INSERT INTO Link_TableA(Company_ID, Receiver_ID) VALUES(@Company_ID, @Receiver_ID)"

cmdCompany.Parameters.AddWithValue("@Company_ID", C1TrueDBGrid1.Columns(0).Value)

cmdCompany.Parameters.AddWithValue("@Receiver_ID", C1TrueDBGrid2.Columns(0).Value)

Thank you for the code, the only problem is I'm selecting from multiple grids and some of them are not mendatory, is there a way to use the insert command for only the grids selected?

CompanySQL = "INSERT INTO Link_TableA(Company_ID, Receiver_ID) VALUES(@Company_ID, @Receiver_ID)"

For example the grid Receiver_Email_Address may not be selected, therefore if included in the insert command above, it would give me an error.

Thank you again for all your help.

Victor

Well, assuming you have some way of determining if a particular grid is selected, you can do this:

CompanySQL = "INSERT INTO Link_TableA(Company_ID, Receiver_ID, Receiver_Email_Address) VALUES(@Company_ID, @Receiver_ID, @Receiver_Email_Address)"

cmdCompany.Parameters.AddWithValue("@Receiver_ID", C1TrueDBGrid2.Columns(0).Value)

If <Grid Is Selected> Then
cmdCompany.Parameters.AddWithValue("@Receiver_Email_Address", C1TrueDBGrid3.Columns(0).Value)
Else
cmdCompany.Parameters.AddWithValue("@Receiver_Email_Address", DBNull.Value)
End If

Note: In place of <Grid Is Selected> put your logic to determine if the email address grid is selected.

I will work on it and get back to you next week.

Thanks,

Victor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back