Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problem with the hard drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZEEEst

Technical User
Jan 17, 2024
UA
Hello, I have encountered an unpleasant event. My external hard drive has stopped working. The disc is no longer readable . When I connect the disc to my computer, the system asks me to format it.

There are very important files on the disc.

Does anyone know how to help me?

hard disk, bad disk, recovery files, help!.
I did manage to solve this problem.

I came across this video tutorial.

Link

True, it cost me $97.95, but that's nothing compared to taking the disc to a technician. I risked losing my files forever. But I can't afford to pay a lot of money.
Let me tell you a little bit about how I did it.
I downloaded Hetman Partition Recovery Link, the program displayed my RAW drive, which used to be FAT, and started a full scan. It found most of my files and successfully recovered them. Yes, it couldn't recover all the files, but I was lucky: I recovered the most important ones .

And yes, make copies of important files (discs) for the future.

Ah, backups.
You only learn the hard way.
I'm glad you got your important files back. Now you know how to avoid the problem in the future.
Let me suggest a simple thing : buy a rewritable DVD, and burn your important files on it regularly. If you have to buy an external RW DVD reader, do so. It's not all that expensive these days, and it saves you a massive headache.
Talking from experience, of course.

I've got nothing to hide, and I demand that you justify what right you have to ask.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back