Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problem with Terminal Services, printer mapping, help! 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

IT2000

IS-IT--Management
Jun 25, 2002
RU
Hey people,
I have a huge problem, one of the remote offices that I control has problems with mapping the printer that is set up there as a local printer, while logged in to Terminal Services.
One computer has the printer set up localally, while all other computer log into that printer to print. I use the NET USE command to connect to the printer, locally all computers can print to the printer.
But when the computers log into Terminal Services sometimes the printer is not detected. One machine NEVER detects the printer.
I thought it had to do with the fact that the first machine that logs on to the server has to be the one with the printer physically attached to it, but that only helped partially.
Please help me out, thanx!

Many printers simply do not work with Terminal Services - some even crash the server.

Make sure that all the clients have the printer driver installed locally, and that the Terminal Server driver name matches the client driver exactly.

I hope this helps CitrixEngineer@yahoo.co.uk

The problem is that everything worked fine until last week when I installed a new computer into their workgroup.
I also thought that it might be a problem with the driver, but that doesn't seem to be it.
The new computer that I installed is the computer that doesn't detect the printer when logged into Terminal Services. Can it be that this computer is causing the confilict? All IP addressing is correct as is all computer naming.
Thank you for being so quick to answer!
Mike

What operating system is the new computer running - is the configuration different to the existing computers in any way? CitrixEngineer@yahoo.co.uk

I'm almost sure that I set up the computer differently then the other computers referring to the Group Policies in MMC.
Otherwise, that's it, nothing else different about them.
I also can tell you that the network adapter on this machine malfunctioned and I replaced it with a different one, but there should be no problems with it, should there, I mean, the computer sees the network normally and the Terminal Service works fine, except for the printer mapping.
Thanks again!

Can the printer be mapped within the Terminal Services session - and is the Default User set to use that printer?

What are the main differences in configuration of that computer to the others?

CE CitrixEngineer@yahoo.co.uk

Yes the printer is mapped SOMETIMES, yet many times it is not. By default on the Terminal Server, the first computer with a printer installed on it, to log onto the server, that printer will be used as the default printer for all computers that will later log onto the Terminal Server.

I have two suspisions about what might be wrong, but I'm truly not sure.
One) Three of the remote computers, two of which have printers physically attached to them, and one with out, are appearing in the LOCAL domain of our company. NOne of the computers from that office should be appearing. I'm not sure that could be the cause of the problem.
Two) I didn't install the printers like local printers, I just clicked Add Printer and then Network Printer, and then clicked on the printer that was attached to another computer, perhaps thats also a reason for the problem, I don't know.

About the main differences, I'm not sure, because the other computers in that office were set up by someone else who no longer works here, so thats why I have a hard time finding out what the problem is.

Again, thank you for answering my questions and any suggestions received is greatly appritiated! You the Man Citrix.

Mike

I have similar problems, and the only person who can print to a local printer via the Terminal server is the person who has the local printer directly attached to his LPT1.
others print to his printer without problems via their local system, but not when they try to print to that system via the terminal server.

My impressions is : Because Terminal server maps local printers the 2 persons who have the printer locally attached can print to their local printer. the person without the printer cannot print to any of these 2 printers of his colleagues. The only solution I know/have seen is make them networked printers using a plug in card or external boxes like the HP jetdirect boxes, and then use the local server as printserver to that networked printer.

I was having the same problem print problem. But what Prinand pointed out is very interesting that it only prints to the printer that is attached to LPT port. What you may have to do with the other computer trying to print to the share printer is to capture the LPT port. This is a feature that allows printing to a shared printer via a DOS program. Let me know if that does the trick.

Note:For Window2000 you have to manually map lpt1

Good Luck [shadeshappy]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back