Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problem with tar command

Status
Not open for further replies.

rsekhar

Technical User
Dec 4, 2002
US
Hi,

I have tar-1.13 installed on solaris 8. I am trying to tar the cvs directory. It tar most of the files with the complete path, but some files are left out with any path.
Any thing wrong I am doing here I use: tar -cvf /tmp/cvs.tar /usr/local/cvsrepo.

Thanks
R

what is:
but some files are left out with any path ???
the tar cmd is fine.

Hi iribach,

What I am trying to say here is when I give that tar command say there are 300 files in the particular directory. The path is there for 250 files (like /usr/local/cvsrepo/file1.txt etc) but there is no path for another 50 files when I open the tar file with winzip.

Thanks
R

Do you have about 50 files that are symbolic links to other files? (Type the following: ls -l | grep ^l| wc -l to get the number of linked files in the directory.) tar won't follow those symbolic links unless you use the -h option.

No these are regular files, but the path somehow does not come to those files

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back