Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problem with Tables in Word 2000 - Not Saving format

Status
Not open for further replies.

MChancellor

Technical User
Jan 12, 2000
US
Has anyone else ever had a problem with Word destroying their tables when they open a document after a save?

It is beginning to be rather frustrating. It appears that what Word is doing is taking the empty cells at the far right side of the table and merging them together. It throws everything off and is making me crazy. I go in and reformat it, save it, close out, come back in, and it is messed up just like it was before. I have tried putting blanks, tabs, and even dashes in the empty cells, and it doesn't matter, it still merges them and messes it all up. I've tried all that I know how to do, and the Office Assistant is no help at all.

Please help!

Thanks,
Misti

I think I've got this one for you, Misti.

Tools-Options-Save tab.
Remove checkmark from "Disable features not supported in Word 97"

Caution: Doing this WILL cause users of Word 97 to have problems with the tables in this document.
techsupportgirl@home.com
Brainbench MVP for Microsoft Word at

The "Disable features not supported in Word 97" checkbox is not checked, but I think I have the problem figured out....

Half of our agency is still using the old software (Office 7.0) and so they have the compatibility set to match that. So, if I use fewer columns in the table and use tabs within the columns I can create the same effect as what I had before without the table going weird on me after a save.

I do appreciate your help.

Thanks,
Misti

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back