Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problem with System Tray on desktop!! 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

qwert85103

Technical User
Dec 27, 2003
US
Hello,

I had installed a program, which shows you today's date in the system tray. But this is what happened:- After installing a few more programs, which also appear in the system tray, my calender/date program gets hidden, whereas I see other program icons in my system tray, which I really dont want to see. Everytime I want to see the date I have to click the little arrow which hides your extra system tray icons, to make it go towards left so that I can see other hidden system tray icons, which in this case is my calender/date program.

Question:- Is there a way one can arrange icons in the system tray (Win XP Pro), so that the ones desired are visible?

Thanks in advance for your help!!

I'm unaware of any way to change the order of icons in the system tray, but couldn't you set all of the icons that you don't want to see as Always Hide, and set your calendar program to Always Show? You do this in the taskbar properties, and the the customize button next to Hide Inactive Icons.

Right Click on Taskbar...select Properties.
Under the Taskbar Tab...select customize.
Left click on the status of the program you wish to view in your systray in the "Behavior" column, and choose which icons you wish to see with the following cascading options.
You can choose between
a) hide when inactive
b) always show
c) always hide

hope this helps

Taskbar notification area overview

The notification area of the taskbar is where you usually see the current time displayed. This area can become crowded with notification icons that appear when certain events occur, such as when you receive e-mail or when you open Task Manager. Windows displays a notification icon when an event occurs. After a short time, Windows puts the icon in the background to simplify that area. In addition, you can customize the behavior of notification icons on the Taskbar tab of the Taskbar and Start Menu Properties dialog box.

To open the Taskbar and Start Menu Properties dialog box, right-click an empty area on the taskbar, and then click Properties.

283084 - How to Clear Past Items from the Notification Area

279771 - Description of Notification Area Settings

321213 - Icons in the Notification Area May Disappear If You Use High-Contrast Color Themes

As you are aware many programs have property pages (often obtained via a right click on an icon) that allows removal of the icon from Taskbar Notification Area.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back