Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problem with symbol fonts in Coreldraw (not solving)

Status
Not open for further replies.

spectorsky

Programmer
Mar 29, 2007
UA
This thread is related to the recent one with the same name:
I cannot use some symbol fonts in Coreldraw, particularly - font named 'Symbol'.
Many thanks harry99 for help, but supposed remedy (copy symbol from charmap) sometimes works for the font named 'Symbol', but in rather strange way. I copied symbol #217 from character map (also tried MS Word), then switched to CorelDraw, opened window for editing text object and paste the content of buffer. The result was #217, but with Arial font. Sometimes it was possible to change font (switch to Symbol), but sometimes font didn't change. Particulary, just now I cannot change font.

Moreover, font Mathematica (it is a symbol font from Wolfram Research) is not usable in CorelDraw at all: there are only rectangles. Why???

Thank a lot for help

Have you tried the "ALT" number and manually typing that character number while holding ALT? This is usually limited to ASCII characters, but lets you type all ALT characters in most any application (i.e. ALT+176 = ° for degree symbol, ALT+0162 = ¢, etc)

Surely. I've tried both methods: alt+(decimal code) and copy+paste. In both cases I obtain this symbol, but in Arial font. Moreover, hint under mouse cursor (with symbols in curremt font) shows empty rectangles.

Thanks for trying to help.

Can you clarify ... when Corel shows empty rectangles, does the character map show a character in that position?

If so, I'm guessing that this might be an internationalisation issue of some sort -- perhaps Corel trying to use the font with a UK-English mapping and character map trying to use a US-English mapping, or vice-versa. But I'm not sure how to fix it even if that is the problem.

Character map shows all symbols in correct way. About internationalizing: I am working in Win XP, original (english)version, system language is russian, Corel was tried both in English and Rusian localizing. Just now I've switched system to English, with the same result. Moreover, the font I'm interesting (Mathematica) has only one code page...

Thanks to all for trying to help

implies that the mathematica font has been revised, so might be worth checking if you have the latest.

Also, make sure that you haven't simultaneously installed the truetype and type1 version of the font. This definitely confuses certain versions of CorelDraw and/or windows, especially when printing to postscript printers.

Font Mathematica is installed in one version: truetype (checked by font navigator, the part of CorelDraw x3).

Thanks to all for trying to help

Final destiny of the case:

I've checked with FontLAB the ttf fonts from
Here's the corrected font: (just one)

Verdict: incorrect codepage assignment inside the fonts. TTFs are not unicode compatible which is crucial for Corel v12+. Fonts are fixed with one easy operation in FontLAB or some other similar app. I am positive that it's fonts' makers who should fix the issue. Contact them, it will cost them 5 minutes of their time but will allow to announce their fonts have unicode compatibility. Isn't it cool? :)

Thanks for suggesting to repair fonts with fontlab! I've done it, and fonts seem to work. Problem really was related to unicode incopatibility. I wrote letter to Wolfram research, maybe they will answer...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back