Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

problem with static IPs on win2K server

Status
Not open for further replies.

vikmere

Programmer
Jul 2, 2003
US
Hi Guys,
I am running a Win2K server connected to a 5360 DSL modem and I have assigned 4 static IPs to it(given by SBC). Somehow after 20 minutes of surfing the system does not work anymore and the modem enet light flashes rapidly and I have to reboot to make it work again. Any thoughts?
The modem seems to be OK.
Vik

Can you ping each of the four IPs from the outside?
What does a tracert show you for each IP?
Does the problem occur with one IP bound to the server?

J

Thanks guys for your help but I saw the event log..nothing there..and yes I can ping the 4 static from outside...but once the modem light starts blinking rapidly and I am unable to surf then obviously I am unable to ping or even browse..
This happens after bing on for about 20 minutes..I have to then reboot to get it going again.

I have checked the NIC card and the cable too. I swapped it with another and still same problem. Well a clue is that if I connect the modem to the router wan port and the machine to the router and NOT give static public IP to the machine but give it to the router then it works and there is no problem. However I can only give router 1 static IP and therefore unable to use the others. The issue is the moment I connect the static IPS machine directly to modem I have problem.

Don't tell me you're using "Veritas BackupExec 9"?

dous the IP lease expire after 20 min?

Swimpy ;)

Swimpy, static IPs don't have a lease.

If it works with the router, why not use it? What are you wanting to accomplish?
You say, if you use the static IP on the router, you can't use the others. Why not? Turn NAT off and give everything public addresses.
As far as the machine goes... Have you tried this with any other computers? See if the same thing happens...

Thanks,

Matt Wray
MCSE, MCSA, MCP, CCNA

Do you need all 4 static ips? Why not just use the 1 public ip and let the router do the rest like Matt suggests?

Suugestion:

When your modem goes beserk, check what are the processes that taking up your CPU time on the task manager, most probably you'll have a clue since event viewer doesn't help. If there's a culprit making your CPU run 100%, end it or uninstall the program associated with.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back