Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problem with spacing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rev

Programmer
May 7, 1998
AM
I am having trouble with line spacing in IE. For some reason I get extra space when a line wraps around to another line. Then I would try to use the <br> tag and it still spaces way too much. This is weird. Anyone ever have this weird problem?

First of all, are you using a particular program to do your html,

like Frontpage97, 98, etc..? Or just notepad. Also, what tag are

you referring to?

No, I am coding by hand. It is weird. I will type a sentence in a table. It will wrap automatically because the table is narrow. For some reason when it wraps it puts a weird extra space it.

Should I post the code for you to look at?

Actually, just check out the tek-tips front door. There is an example of this problem in the Visitor section.

Try setting the line spacing attributes with cascading style sheets, this works god with Internet Explorer.

Just ran across this post.<br>
<br>
For smaller type sizes (1 & 2) this can be a problem, due to a bug in the browsers, but it's easy enough to fix.<br>
<br>
Just make sure that you include a &lt;BR&gt; tag IMMEDIATELY FOLLOWING the last character in the paragraph -- no spaces, on same line.<br>
<br>
The extra space between the last line and the rest of the paragraph should disappear.

I've noticed that if you're setting font properties using &lt;font&gt;&lt;/font&gt;, that &lt;br&gt; has to go inside the &lt;font&gt; tags. <br>
<br>
Also, if you ever cut up a large image, and recombine it using a table with cellpadding="0" and cellspacing="0", be sure your ending &lt;/td&gt; tag is on the same line as the content of that cell. If not, IE 5.0 interprets a space below the image. That almost made me bald before I figured that out! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back