Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problem with see tapes in the drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

cjh1

Technical User
Jun 17, 2003
GB
I am using Arcserve 2000 (SP4)which is installed on a Compaq DL580 running win2000 server. Connnected to the server is a Compaq TL891DLX tape changer. The problem I have is that sometimes Arcserve doesnt recognise that there is a tape loaded in the slot. In order for Arcserve to see the tape I ave to either reboot the server (major pain)or stop and start the Tape Engine. I have asked CA about this and they suggested that I apply Qo39924 which I have done but it doesnt seem to have helped much.

Can anyone help with this?

Thanks

Caroline

Caroline -
what exactly do you mean AS does not see the tape?
Is it left updating? Is it just empty? Is the tape left in the drive?
cheers
TP

TP,

The tape is ready to be used ie mounted in its slot, but if you look at the device in Arcserve you cant see the tape, the slot is marked as empty. So I then mount the magazine so that the drive goes through its updating routine. The details of the slots change to Updating, the little graphics of the slots spin round, its finishes updating, but still says empty. This is v. frustrating as I know the tape is in the slot. If I leave it in this state and run the backup job it acts as if there is no tape in the slot.

To get the tape recognised I usually resort to stopping and starting the tape engine.

Hope this explains my problem more clearly.

Thanks for the reply,

Caroline

Caroline

I was in the same boat about a week ago, i've got a TL891R i used QO27941 the new media fix, and still got the same result, i ended up getting hp in and they found that the robot arm couldn't pick the tape out of the last slot of the magazine. It was missing the tape by a couple of mm's and reporting that the slot was empty. Do you use either TSMC (tape storage management console) or L&TT on your tape server so that you can run a couple of tests to rule out the actual library. Either that or use the diagnostics on the front of the lib, if this is one.

Stat1c,

Thanks for the advice. As far as I can tell the tape changer is working fine as the tape actually makes it into the slot, Arcserve was just refusing to see it.

Since I put my last post on here everything seems to be working fine (touch wood!), but you know Arcserve, something else is bound to go wrong again soon.

I have installed TSMC which I hadn't come across before and it seems that it could be a handy tool, thanks for the tip.

Cheers,

Caroline

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back