Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problem with Search Capabilities

Status
Not open for further replies.

pfay415

MIS
Oct 26, 2001
Has any one found a way to lock down the system search capabilites and still allow users access to search mapped network drives in applications, such as MSWord? We use Windows 2k, MetaframeXP FR1 to publish desktops to our users. We lock down the workstations using Group Policies. If I enable the policy to "Remove Search menu from Start Menu", I lose the ability to search from within Word and Excel. If I disable the policy, users are able to search local drives if they go Start->Search (very bad) but in Word and Excel they can only search non-hidden and mapped drives (which is what I want). I have the local drives hidden but they still show up as the default drives in Start->Search. Any help on this would be much appreciated.

The normal whay to change this, is to publish applications, instead of publishing the Desktop. If that is not a options, try look into the FR2, they have added some policies, that will make it possible to publish only some application to specific users. Then you could publish the desktop to the users that needed that, and MSoffice to the users that should not seach the hole directory.

Hi,

Yes we have the same problem- seems an oversight that even using a GPO to hide and prevent access to system drives the search utility still allows this.

As you say users often require the ability to search through directories.

Anyone found a solution to this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back