Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problem with scanning mode on WUSB11

Status
Not open for further replies.

Capnroy89

Technical User
Jul 25, 2003
US
Hello,

I recently purchased a Linksys wireless adapter, the WUSB11. For some reason, according to the "Instant Wireless LAN Monitor", every few minutes or so, the adapter will go from the status of "Connected" to the status of "Scanning". When it goes into "scanning", my signal strength and link quality go down to zero, and if I'm playing a computer game or surfing the
internet, both will pause for 2 or 3 seconds until the Strength and quality go back up. Is there any way to turn this scanning off, or is it built in on purpose?

I am currently running Windows XP, and use a Netgear MR814 wireless router. I have emailed Linksys tech support once, and they told me that this problem was caused by an unstable wireless connection, so they gave me steps on how to set up a static IP (which I believe I already had..?) This did not work, and I still can't figure out what the problem is with my adapter. I used to have a Netgear wireless USB adapter that did the same thing, but assumed it was because of Netgear, and so I bought the Linksys adapter to fix the problem. Thank you for your help.

Have you:

1. Disabled 802.1x authentication
2. Made your preferred network the default network
3. Disabled XP's Wireless Zero Configuration service
4. Tried a channel setting of 11 or 1 for both client and wirelesss router/AP
5. Set your rate to 11 mbs. fixed
6. Move the adapter, and/or antenna to improve reception

My son uses this adapter under XP and moving it 6 inches on his desktop makes the signal meter go from poor to excellent.

You could also tweak settings on the WUSB11.

Try changing RTS Threshold and Fragmentation Threshold to 2304 on the client side, or change the channels as what Bcastner suggested.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back