Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problem with saving bullets & numbering to a template.

Status
Not open for further replies.

softmchine

IS-IT--Management
May 17, 2001
US
I am tring to setup someones Word so that when they select a template which i created the bullets and numbering are set to a certain indent. I have read all that MS has to offer on the subject but unfortunatly it doesnt work. When i creat a template through styles it keeps the bullet indent when i restart Word but it doesnt keep the numbering setting. thanks

Can you restate this sentence(s):

When i creat a template through styles it keeps the bullet indent when i restart Word but it doesnt keep the numbering setting.

What are you expecting it to do? Are you saving the template AS A TEMPLATE (AND IN THE TEMPLATES FOLDER) AND GIVING IT A NAME AND THEN USING FILE-NEW TO USE IT? That's how templates work. Brainbench MVP for Microsoft Word
techsupportgirl@home.com

Hi sorry i didnt get much sleep last night that was really bad english. What i was trying to say was... I created a style, not a template. I went from the main menu, format/style. I then created a new style, selected "modify" then "format" then "numbering". I changed both the numbers and the bullets to .5 text postion. Then i checked add to template and said "ok". When i returned to the document that was alreay open and selected the style i had just created, the bullets kept the .5 but the numbers keep going back to the ms default. I work at the IT department at a college and no one in my department can make this work. At this point i think it is a glitch by ms but if you can help it would be much appreciated.

Thanks jeremy

Open a doc. Hit File-Save as and save it as a template, right in the folder it wants to save it into.

Then when you "save to template", you're already in it. Perhaps you don't have rights to make changes to your normal.dot file and that could be why you can't "save changes to template". But you certainly ought to have rights to a template YOU created.

Also, just to let you know. Some of those numbering, particularly outline numbering, can be a bear. If you can let me know the exact type of numbering you're looking for, I can probably help if it continues to be a problem.

Brainbench MVP for Microsoft Word
techsupportgirl@home.com

Okay I created a new template and applied the bullet and numbering changes to it. The exact same thing happens, when the document first opens it shows... 1. |(which is correct) if you delete it though it goes back to 1.|
The bullets on the other hand do work properly even when deleted. You asked me what kind of numbering I was using. I just want the basic... 1. |
2. |
3. |

Thanks for your time

Correction for last thread. The numbers appeared different on the thread then when i created it. The numbers are supposed to be under each other.

Okay, let's try this one more time. If it doesn't work, you can send me an email and I'll make you one that works--if it's possible, and I don't know why it wouldn't be.

New doc.

Type =rand(5,5) and hit enter. That creates 5 paragraphs, 5 sentences each in your document.

Select the first paragraph, including the paragraph marker at the end (hit the show/hide button on the toolbar so you can see them--paragraph formatting is stored in paragraph returns).

Keeping the paragraph selected, hit Format-Style, and choose List number. You should get a #1.

Hit Format-Paragraph and change the indent and HANGING indent to desired. Indent is from margin. Hanging indent is space between number and text (just in case you or another reader doesn't know). Then, hit the Tabs button and hit Clear All, then set the left-hand tab at the same location as the hanging indent. If hanging indent = 0.5, set tab at 0.5. Hit ok.

Then, hit the style dropdown and choose List number AGAIN. You'll get a dialog to update the style or reformat to the original style. Choose UPDATE.

Save the file and close it. Close Word, shutdown if you want, to test it. Brainbench MVP for Microsoft Word
techsupportgirl@home.com

Are you using the 1,2,3 button to add the numbers? Add a keyboard shortcut to the style instead.

Thanks, Donna. You just reminded me of something else.

When you apply that List number style, go to Format-Styles and choose that style and hit Modify. Make sure Automatically update style is NOT checked!!

Also, go to Tools-Option, Autoformat as you type tab. Remove checkmarks from the top-most and bottom-most sections of the tab. Did I say that already?
LOL Brainbench MVP for Microsoft Word
techsupportgirl@home.com

Donna,
I have tried the keyboard shortcut already but it has the same effect. Thank you though.

Dreamboat,
I have emailed you for assistance.
Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back