Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problem with Runningsum property

Status
Not open for further replies.

jgarnick

Programmer
Feb 16, 2000
US
Visit site
I am trying to get a sum of detail records by log number on a report.&nbsp;&nbsp;The report has one grouping level--by log number and I have it set so that each log number is a separate page.&nbsp;&nbsp;I put a text box in the detail section of the report and set the runningsum property to Over group.&nbsp;&nbsp;According to Help, the Over Group setting should reset the total back to 0 at the beginning of each higher group level--doesn't this mean each time the log number changes? Right now it keeps totaling from page to page and never resets.<br><br>Is there anyway to group records by log number on separate pages and get a total for that group on each page??<br><br>Thanks!&nbsp;&nbsp; <p>jgarnick<br><a href=mailto:jgarnick@aol.com>jgarnick@aol.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br>

I am a little confused about what you are trying to sum. It sounds like you want a count of records for each log number. If that is the case then open a group footer and add a text box. Set the control source to:<br>=count(*)<br><br>if there is a different field you are trying to sum for each group level then again use the group footer and put a text box in with the control source:<br>=sum([fieldname])<br><br>Sorry if I am misunderstanding your meaning.

Thanks jgarnick!!<br><br>Thanks for your question.&nbsp;&nbsp;It showed me how to calculate rank in a report that lists perhaps the top 50 sales people.&nbsp;&nbsp;The person at the top of the list will have a rank of one, the second a rank of two, etc.&nbsp;&nbsp;I just added a test box, set it =1 and set the running sum property to overall.<br><br>Thanks again.<br><br>Mike

Mike, glad I (unknowingly) helped you!&nbsp;&nbsp; <p>jgarnick<br><a href=mailto:jgarnick@aol.com>jgarnick@aol.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back