Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

problem with rras and vpn setup 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

dispid

Programmer
Apr 5, 2001
US
i am trying to set up a vpn on my w2k server which has two nics installed.. both nics are connected to my network and i have a couple of other comps connected the same way but with only 1 nic on each of those, i then have a dsl modem connected to the network as well. so anyway, all users get ips from my dsl provider and i would like to set up a vpn to allow access to the comps on my network.. i have read alot of docs and i know i am doing this kind of oddly and i dont know if this is the reason i am having problems.. anyway, here is my first problem.. when i open rras and right click on my server it gives me this message in a dialog box:

"you do not have the required permissions to view the properties."

i am logged in as administrator and am completely puzzled.. my next question is this.. according to the above setup, is it possible to share my network through netbeui from the vpn server who is at the same level of the nodes on the network?

Bumped up against this one myself..
I had disabled the remote registry service as a security precaution due to a lack of knowledge as to how secure/insecure it is.

Turning the service back on solved the problem.. apparently the MMC Snap-In routes detailed service property queries through the remote registry service.

Don't you just hate when you do something in the name of security only to have it torment you in other ways. Boydster is an extremely nice human being. Thank you kindly for allowing me to realize the error of my ways.

hi! does anyone know why my RAS service does not start ? I
have a domain controller with VPN and want to attach a se-
cond server for VPN / Terminal Server. RAS is configured
same way as the domain, but the service does not start up.

"Routing and Remote Access service did not return an error.
This could be an internal Windows error....etc."

Then an additional error 234 appears in the event log. I
have no idea....the new server is 1:1 same as the domain
controller! both are in the same domain and on the same
LAN, so this should not be a problem !

thanks a lot for help !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back