Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problem with Report Based on Query

Status
Not open for further replies.

gmalaret

IS-IT--Management
Feb 12, 2007
PR
Hi:
I created a query to extract data from a linked table. The query does not have any sorting. Then I created a Report based on the query. The report does not have any grouping or sorting.

The issue is: When I run the report I get the same data that I get from the query, but it comes out in a completely different order.

I have double checked the query and the report and they do not have any sorting or grouping of any kind.
By the way I am using Access 2007.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Access is a relational database and any order is the natural state of such a database. If you want a particular order, apply sorting and / or grouping to the report.

Question: How come the order on the report is different than in the query? The data should come out the same.

Thanks.

There is no point in ordering data for a report in a query, you must order the data in the report.

I agree. But in other versions of Access the report kept the data in the same order that it came out the query.

Thanks.

I would not have relied on the query order to carry over to a report in any version of Access. If you want a report to display in a particular order, you should use the Sorting and Grouping within the report design.

Duane
Hook'D on Access
MS Access MVP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back